Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I boot into Xubuntu, the "Display" configuration box shows up FIVE OF THEM, (I guess so I can choose the best resolution for the screen??) I'm Running Xubuntu XFCE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multiple"Display" configuration screens showing upon booting

When I boot into Xubuntu, the "Display" configuration box shows up FIVE OF THEM, (I guess so I can choose the best resolution for the screen??)

I'm Running Xubuntu XFCE on an Asus 1005 netbook, dual booted with XP

A few days ago I had it hooked to my TV with a RGB cable and was using the F8 key (external monitor) to use the TV as an external monitor, with limited success, and ever since have had this problem. I have to "close" them or hit the X to close each of them every time. Thanks in advance, digging out in NE Kansas

Just Joined!
    bump, I haven't figured it out yet, Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    bump, can anyone tell me why these keep coming up? Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansasman View Post
    bump, can anyone tell me why these keep coming up? Thanks
    I'm guessing no one has ever had this problem or doesn't know where to begin to help.
    Do you have an xorg.conf file? If you do, you might try renaming it to xorg.conf.old and then try booting xorg without a .conf file. If it doesn't help you can easily rename the file back and look some where else.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for your reply! I found xorg.confd in usr/share/X11, renamed it to xorg.confold, rebooted, and my wireless mouse, keyboard would not work. Had to put puppy linux on a flash drive (and then remember how to use it) to go back in and change the file name back, and now back at square one. Open to all suggestions, the learning curve is very curvy.

Anywhere near Mineral Wells, TX? Thanks again

Just Joined!
    bump, and I guess I should ask where the xorg.conf file is supposed to be, since mine is in the USR file and not the ETC file. Thanks

Check in /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    For those who might find this thread for the same problem, I fixed the problem by going to:

Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Autostart (or session)

and changed something, can't remember exactly what, possibly unchecking XFCE settings helper, rebooting, and rechecking it. Or, under Session, going to XFCE4-panel, go the right and left click on whatever word is there, and changing it to "immediately". Thanks for the help, and hope this helps someone.