Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by oz Puppy Linux did run as root user by default the last time I booted it, but then I guess most if not all liveCDs run as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Puppy Linux did run as root user by default the last time I booted it, but then I guess most if not all liveCDs run as root user by default. As noted earlier, I'm not aware of any Linux distribution that doesn't allow root logins.

To do root logins with Gnome, it used to be that you edited the following display manager files:

/etc/pam.d/gdm
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-password

For KDE, the following display manager file had to be edited:

/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

Don't know if any of that might have changed, but I would have no reason to edit any of those files since I've never had any good reason to login as root user. I remain in full control of all my boxes without logging in as root user, and still loving it!
    Thanks again. I notice that you are a long time user, so I wonder if things have changed with the newer versions, perhaps the
    privileges you take for granted have been systematically stripped away?

Linux Guru
    Back when I ran Zenwalk You could login as root user or regular user at whatever login screen they used, (sorry long ago for me)

Otherwise, Just run Puppy Linux installed either frugal or full.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodzman View Post
    I wonder if things have changed with the newer versions, perhaps the
    privileges you take for granted have been systematically stripped away?
    As noted last night, I tested root user logins immediately before replying to your thread and it worked just fine, no problems whatsoever, so nothing stripped away here. I am running the latest packages available in my distro's stable repositories, so there's no need for me to test it further.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Although I'm against the practice, both Slackware and CRUX do allow for root login. That includes GUI login.
    Neither system forces you to create a normal user during installation. So you're free to bomb the system as you please.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Even as it is not usually advisable, in most RedHat based distros you can login as root. Check RedHat , Fedora, CentOS, Scientific, Mageia, etc. Maybe some may have the option disabled. it is just a matter of enabling it back, depending on the distro

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Although I'm against the practice, both Slackware and CRUX do allow for root login. That includes GUI login.
    Neither system forces you to create a normal user during installation. So you're free to bomb the system as you please.
    Thank you ,this is precisely what I was looking for. Do you use either of these
    personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzman View Post
    Thank you ,this is precisely what I was looking for. Do you use either of these
    personally?
    You're looking to bomb your system!?!
    Just kidding. But those happen to be my favorite 2 distros. Both require some tinkering to get them running the way that you might want, but both are lightning fast, and you will be in total control of the system.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    You're looking to bomb your system!?!
    Just kidding. But those happen to be my favorite 2 distros. Both require some tinkering to get them running the way that you might want, but both are lightning fast, and you will be in total control of the system.
    Sounds great, Thank you. Do you have a download link?

Here ya go:
    CRUX
    Slackware
    If you're not familiar with them, then reading the documentation is highly recommended.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    If you're not familiar with them, then reading the documentation is highly recommended.
    Will do and thank you:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast