Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Looks like slackware might be the easier install, for the inexperienced....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looks like slackware might be the easier install, for the inexperienced.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodzman View Post
    Looks like slackware might be the easier install, for the inexperienced.
    I've always found Slackware to be easier to install than CRUX, but once you've gone through the installation routine on each of them a couple of times, neither is all that difficult. Installing CRUX (with applications) can be painfully slow, though.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I've always found Slackware to be easier to install than CRUX, but once you've gone through the installation routine on each of them a couple of times, neither is all that difficult. Installing CRUX (with applications) can be painfully slow, though.
    Thanks for the heads up. Anyone familiar with Slackware Linux Unleashed, 3rd. Edition, as a resource?

Edit;Just wanted to add, since experimenting with linux over the past months, I have made the mistake common to many newbies
    no doubt. That is treating the CLI as an option and trying to use the GUI for everything.
    I realize now that proficiency with the command line is not an option in a linux system, unless you only intend to do basic
    computing, ie; check email, etc. So I am trying to learn the CLI, as yet I still feel quite disadvantaged.
    Last edited by Woodzman; 03-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzman View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Anyone familiar with Slackware Linux Unleashed, 3rd. Edition, as a resource?
    Seeing as it was published in 1997, it's an antique at this point. The Slackware team maintains a really good online book, SlackBook. It contains a wealth of information for getting Slack up and running, as well as most everything needed for maintaining it.
    There is a newer version in the works, too: The Slack Book

And you're right about one thing... the command line is just way too powerful, and too useful to be overlooked. Developing some CLI skills will be a real advantage for you, as most of what you learn from one distro can be easily used on every other distro that you choose to try. Also, if something breaks, graphically speaking, guess what you'll be using to fix it!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Some distros are definitely more command line oriented by default than others but I'll bet there are plenty of new linux users that don't know the linux command line exists, or if they do, they've given no thought to using it, whatsoever.
    oz

Just Joined!
    jayd512; Thanks a bunch, I have been reading The Slack Book, link, this is great, imagine reading about an install 'before' you start, what
    a concept, Maybe all the months of experimenting are starting to pay off, ie; it's easier to avoid mistakes than try to fix them after the
    fact. The partitioning method is different but I've done enough installs and partition editing to understand what it's talking about.
    Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Some distros are definitely more command line oriented by default than others but I'll bet there are plenty of new linux users that don't know the linux command line exists, or if they do, they've given no thought to using it, whatsoever.
    Speaking for myself, I never heard of a terminal before I started using linux, when i naively suggested in the ubuntu forum that the
    command line seemed essential as there were not enough tools available in the GUI to do what i wanted, in essence I 'got my ears boxed'.

In fairness to ubuntu though,they probably lead the way in having a user friendly GUI, likely due to their concerted effort to target the
    handheld device market with the unity DE interface. Again speaking for myself, coming from windows I found unity an easy transition.

I now prefer cinnamon tho.

There are several sites dedicates to giving distro specific information, similar to the SlackBook. For example: Debian Wiki, Arch Wiki and Gentoo Wiki.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3