Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created a sym link using n -s /opt/vuze/vuze to the executable for vuze. If I run the executable directly opt/vuze/ ./vuze the application runs just find, but from any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Application will not run from symbolic link. Why?

I created a sym link using n -s /opt/vuze/vuze to the executable for vuze. If I run the executable directly opt/vuze/ ./vuze the application runs just find, but from any symbolic linkd it fails. I'm running on centOS 6. Here's the out put:

Starting Azureus...
    Suitable java version found [java = 1.7.0_09-icedtea]
    Configuring environment...
    Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
    Error: Could not find or load main class org.gudy.azureus2.platform.unix.ScriptBeforeStartu p
    Loading Azureus:
    java -Xmx128m -cp "./*.jar" -Djava.library.path="/home/Guest/Desktop" -Dazureus.install.path="/home/Guest/Desktop" -Dazureus.script="./vuze" -Dazureus.script.version=3 org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
    Error: Could not find or load main class org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
    Exit from Azureus complete
    Error: Could not find or load main class org.gudy.azureus2.platform.unix.ScriptAfterShutdow n
    Azureus TERMINATED.

Thank you for your help in advance

Linux Engineer
    Looks like the application is trying to find the java libraries using the path the application is started from.

Just Joined!
    That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure because I don't understand symbolic links very well. Does the link not tell bash where the file it that it's referencing?

Linux Engineer
    What you could do, if you want to make a shortcut, is make a simple bash script that launches the application from the actual installed spot.

#!/bin/bash
    /opt/myapp/vuze

Just Joined!
    I ended up doing that and it worked.