Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
...About how long does the installation process take?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Looking to install Gentoo....

...About how long does the installation process take?

Linux Guru
    That depends on your computer and what you want. I have a AMD TBird 1400MHz, and so far (I have basically emerged XFree86 before I ran out of disk space on the small extra drive that I'm currently using for gentoo. I'm going to change that, though.) it has taken me, say, 10 hours or so. I started from stage 1, I don't know how long it takes if you start from stage 2 or 3.

Linux Engineer
    I suggest starting from stage 3, you can have a running linux box up in 1hr. I have tried all stages and do not notice any difference besides 1 and 2 taking a lot longer to install then 3.

Linux User
    Ten hours????!!!!! That's astonishing! Ten times to that of RedHat! If I use ghost, only takes me 45 mins. Well, frankly speaking, that's way too long! I dunno whether it is worth a effort or not.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Guru
    Well, that is including the time I took for myself to explore the system and play with it a bit before proceeding. If I were to do it again on a time trial, it would probably take, say, 4 or 5 h.

Just Joined!
    I'm only half way through the Gentoo install - I found that there was no real help to tell you which packages you had to emerge to get what you wanted.

Let's say I wanted a minimal gnome system - from a stage 3 install what would I have to emerge? emerge gnome?

I have to say that I do have a fully functional (non X) gentoo install though - it took me about 4 hours. I was installing everything from the net - is that right?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gzunk
    I was installing everything from the net - is that right?
    Yeah, that's the way it works. You had better find a good mirror; I find that the gentoo.oregonstate.edu mirror is terribly slow. Of course I do live half a world away, though.
    And yes, emerge gnome would be a good bet. I'm guessing that it will take some time though. I'll initiate it myself tonight before I go to bed, and hope that it will be at least half way done when I wake up.

One thing that I find quite amazing is my new shiny emacs installation. I always assumed that it should take a second to start up emacs, but now that I've installed it on gentoo without a ton of extra modules that I never use anyway, it starts instantly, and uses half the memory it did before. So far, I'm really happy.

Linux Engineer
    As for mirrors do this, emerge mirrorselect && mirrorselect -a -s5
    That will give you the 5 fastest mirrors from your location.

Linux Guru
    My, that's really useful!

Linux Engineer
    Yes gentoo has a lot of neat little tools like that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast