Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Mepis for a while now and have been very happy with it (as it is the ONLY distro out of a lot that "just works" with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mouse pointer jumps around the screen

I have been using Mepis for a while now and have been very happy with it (as it is the ONLY distro out of a lot that "just works" with my wireless card, but thats another story). I recently upgraded my keyboard and mouse to a Creative Wireless 6000 pair that plug into a single USB socket. I then found that the mouse would not work correctly, but move very jerkily across the screen. I booted into the 2.4 kernel and this seemed to solve the problem...

I have now decided to upgrade to the pro version of Mepis, but this doesn't seem to offer the 2.4 option - and booting with the 2.6 kernel the mouse goes crazy again. It is extremely difficult to use as the mouse cannot be positioned accurately.

Is there any way to overcome this problem?

Gaz

Linux Engineer
    Is there any driver update?
    have you tryed (this one did it for me) to put the usb->serial mouse port...
    also, if nothing works, what your GUI
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

I don't think this problem is specific to Mepis, as I seem to remember having the same thing under Mandrake 10.1 Official.

I couldn't find a suitable driver from Creative, but will keep looking for 3rd party ones. And the GUI is KDE 3.3.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I dont knwo about KDE3.3 I dont even know if it's 100% stable with all device since it got out (1-2 months ago)

Did you had the same problem with KDE 3.2 -
    Have you tryed with KDE 3.2 or less
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Yeah, I believe Mandrake was KDE 3.2 as was Mepis when I originally installed. Is this likely to be a kernel issue?

Linux Engineer
    I wouldn't blame this on the kernel, I'dd rather say (mabye) an
    1st incompatibility between the hardware -> KDE 3.3
    2nd incompatibility between the kernel -> KDE 3.3
    3rd incompatibility between the kernel -> hardware
    this is the order I would debug this...

Linux Guru
    I'd look first at the set-up in /etc/X11/XF86Config or xorg.conf. There are several different mouse device types. I've seen this same problem due to the wrong type in XF86Config. I'd also suggest that you check how your mouse works with gpm in the vitual console mode. If it works okay there, that will eliminate the kernel as the likely source of problems. Of course, it's possible to have the same jerky problem in gpm for basically the same reason, but the mouse type input for gpm is completely independant from Xwindows, so you at least have two independant ways of troubleshooting.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better