Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently use a NAS at home from a not-to-be-named vendor. Their hardware is good but their firmware has major issues and it is getting worse over time. So I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    DJM
    Just Joined!

Advice on seting up a NAS

I currently use a NAS at home from a not-to-be-named vendor. Their hardware is good but their firmware has major issues and it is getting worse over time. So I thought I would build my own NAS based on Linux. It would give me the opportunity to learn Linux better and control the software updates.

I will be running file shares (samba), email, web site (little usage), media services (photo, movies, music), proxy server, and stuff I haven't thought of yet.

For hardware I was thinking of the following.
    • 2 SSD as raid 1 for system volume
    • At least 6 bays for data starting with 3 drives in raid 5
    • Raid controller(s)
    • Gig ethernet
    • USB 2/3
    • Standard video
    • Atom MB??

Has anyone done this?

Rcommendations on
    • Chassis
    • MB
    • CPU
    • Linux distro to use - should have lots of packages available for it

Looking for advice.

Thanks
    Don

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I currently use a NAS at home from a not-to-be-named vendor. Their hardware is good but their firmware has major issues and it is getting worse over time. So I thought I would build my own NAS based on Linux. It would give me the opportunity to learn Linux better and control the software updates.

I will be running file shares (samba), email, web site (little usage), media services (photo, movies, music), proxy server, and stuff I haven't thought of yet.
    So a tad more than "just a NAS" then?

For hardware I was thinking of the following.
    • 2 SSD as raid 1 for system volume
    • At least 6 bays for data starting with 3 drives in raid 5
    • Raid controller(s)
    • Gig ethernet
    • USB 2/3
    • Standard video
    • Atom MB??
    From the top of my head
    • Unless you are going to use the server very actively, any disk can go as system-disk, a raid1 of SSDs is overkill imho, better to spend that extra money on a UPS
    • A decent up-to-date MB with an i5-equivalent cpu should provide what you need wrt raw processing power. Then you also have a decent graphics controller.
    • GigE is available on decent MBs
    • Is it going to serve as a router/gateway as well? Then look for a MB with dual GigE.
    • Instead of Atom, find a MB with at least 6 sata-ports, consider an extra sata-controller if you need many disks and throughput is a serious concern (but then you should probably re-evaluate the term "home NAS")

Has anyone done this?

Rcommendations on
    • Chassis
    • MB
    • CPU
    • Linux distro to use - should have lots of packages available for it
    • A big one (seriously, a server is something you hide away, a big one has room for drives and gives you better options for cooling)
    • MB: nah, go to a hardware vendor and read some reviews, find one with enough sata/usb/gigE and evaluate wrt price
    • CPU: I _personally_ like i5/i7, but for a home-nas it does not really matter I guess.
    • Linux distro: I _personally_ like Debian. ymmw and all that
    • Decent amount of RAM.

DJM
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it is more than hone NAS.

I already have a decent size ups so no worries there. I was only thinking of SSD for performance and raid 1 for redundancy. I hate to rebuild once a system is up and running.

It won't be used as a router.

For cases I was looking at fractal and lian. Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it is more than hone NAS.

I already have a decent size ups so no worries there. I was only thinking of SSD for performance and raid 1 for redundancy. I hate to rebuild once a system is up and running.
    Sure, I get the performance and redundancy-thing, you have to put the effort where you believe it is needed. _personally_ I have a single SSD and try to keep a recent backup of the stuff in /etc. OTOH, if you use smartctl and a UPS, you will probably (with emphasis on the probable-part ) avoid a lot of issues.
    It won't be used as a router.

For cases I was looking at fractal and lian. Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks
    There's a couple of things I like with a chassis:
    • room to move around
    • plenty of disk-bays
    • room to run powercables etc on the other side of the MB
    • good ventilation

If you use this (and any other boxes you'd want to tick off) when you look at chassis, I think you'll end up with something nice. Whoever made it in the first place is not really that important.

And yeah, find a decent PSU.

Good luck!

DJM
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice.