Find the answer to your Linux question:
1. There are some automation systems for product lines in factories. I know that some of these automation systems was program with Linux and VxWorks and these two software help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and robotics, Linux and operating systems

1. There are some automation systems for product lines in factories.
    I know that some of these automation systems was program with Linux and VxWorks and these two software help to program the also the real time, motion control and the drivers for the servo motors.
    I want to understand the connection between, Linux and VxWorks, and Robotics, Real time, motion control and drivers for the servo motors.
    2. I want to know what the connections between ubuntu and robotics are.
    I hear that ubuntu is software that runs on Linux and this software compete with other software that calls Microsoft Robotics Studio.
    3. I want to know what the connection between Linux and operating systems is

If you know something that is related to these issues or you know about websites links that are related to these issues so I will glad if you can write them in this thread.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Subjects for a PhD dissertation... I have been working with manufacturing cell control systems for 25+ years, and to say that a LOT of major manufacturing systems and production lines are run with the software I developed back when would not be an exaggeration (including those for the F117 Stealth Fighter avionics, and US Navy RAMP systems, plus GM engine and other plants).

That said (and bragging rights aside), this sounds a lot like a school project. If so, then that is not allowed in the TOS of these forums. If you have specific questions, then I will be happy to help answer them.

As a final word - I HAVE used Linux in embedded systems for conveyor-line control in warehousing environments. For manufacturing production systems, I much prefer hard real-time systems, such as QNX (you mention VxWorks - which is a Linux variant with hard real-time capabilities). I would recommend that you visit QNX operating systems, development tools, and professional services for connected embedded systems for some good information about these subjects. FWIW, QNX is now the OS purchased by Blackberry and used in their latest phones, automobile control systems, and tablets.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Having worked on Star Automation Robotics, back when I punched a time clock.

I know boolean was what controlled most robotic command structure back then. Input swtiches told input cards that told controller cards to tell ouput cards to tell output servos what to do. Before I opened my scooter shop. I used to fix and reprogram and calibrate that kind of stuff for plastic injection molding systems as well as punch presses also. Same same for when I was a CH-53 avionics crew chief.

Free trade fixed all that rat race crap for me though.

@rubberman. We must be getting the weirdos (like us/me) this weekend ABCCNN?

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/all...directory.page

http://www.ctiplcio.com/blog/blog_Co...gix_Array.html
    Last edited by rokytnji; 05-12-2013 at 03:46 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Indeed Roky. I remember writing servers to control PLC's, and having a bunch of them (AB, Adept - for vision & robotics, et al) sitting under my desk so I could be sure I was integrating with them properly. I still have the docs for a lot of them on the bottom shelf of my book case here at home! Ladder logic anyone? Just what you need for causing a good case of indigestion!

BTW, remember the AB's integrated with the micro-vax? Talk about a Franken-monster!