Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, What will be the simple solution sending SMS on PC to IPhone/mobile phone without via modem and IPhone. I have been searching around but what I found were ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

SMS from PC to mobile phone

Hi all,

What will be the simple solution sending SMS on PC to IPhone/mobile phone without via modem and IPhone. I have been searching around but what I found were via IPhone/Modem;

Send SMS from your Linux computer via your Mobile Phone
    Sathya Says – [How-To]Send SMS from your Linux computer via your Mobile Phone

How to Use a Linux PC to Send and Receive SMS Messages (Non-Developer's Perspective)
    How to Use a Linux PC to Send and Receive SMS Messages

Linux / UNIX minicom Serial Communication Program
    Linux / UNIX minicom Serial Communication Program

etc.

pointers would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

If you are looking for simple setup I think Gammu is best option.One of my side project, I'm using it.
    Other than this there Kannel: Open Source WAP and SMS Gateway

I looked into both stuffs, later decided to use gammu ,because its little easier

EDIT : You don't want to use even USB modems ? If you don't want to attached modem/phone with your computer. Then I think, you need to have Sim-enabled laptop. But I haven't tried it.

If I'm not wrong,I think you must need SIM either in form of 'built-in to laptop or attached via phone/usb modem' to send messages.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    - snip -
    EDIT : You don't want to use even USB modems ? If you don't want to attached modem/phone with your computer. Then I think, you need to have Sim-enabled laptop. But I haven't tried it.

If I'm not wrong,I think you must need SIM either in form of 'built-in to laptop or attached via phone/usb modem' to send messages.
    Hi,

I'm investigating whether there is a way sending SMS without modem nor iphone connected to desktop PC. There are solutions available sending SMS on desktop PC via modem/iphone. Neither I have SIM built-in laptop.

satimis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can send SMS messages via email. It doesn't matter the OS or hardware you use. You just need to get the correct address to send it to. On my cell carrier (Virgin Mobile), I just send a text/email to xxxxxxxxxx@virginmobl.com where xxxxxxxxxx is the cell number of the person I wish to contact.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I can send SMS messages via email. It doesn't matter the OS or hardware you use. You just need to get the correct address to send it to. On my cell carrier (Virgin Mobile), I just send a text/email to xxxxxxxxxx@virginmobl.com where xxxxxxxxxx is the cell number of the person I wish to contact.
    Thanks for your advice.

My service provider doesn't offer this service. I can't send email-SMS nor web-SMS to iphone/mobile phone. I have it reconfirmed about a week ago with my service provider.

B.R.
    satimis

Well, if all else fails, send it as an email and tell the reciever to open his email via his cellphone.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Linux Guru
    Well, if all else fails, send it as an email and tell the reciever to open his email via his cellphone.
    I can send SMS on PC via modem.

I can send SMS on my IPhone/mobile. But it is NOT convenient for long msg.

I haven't tried sending SMS on PC via IPhone/mobile phone. There are solutions on Internet. I trust I can make it to work.

I'm venturing to find whether this is solution sending SMS from PC to IPhone/mobile phone without modem nor IPhone/mobile phone.

Rgds
    satimis

Keep in mind, there are other client applications like ICQ that allow sending SMS messages also. Well the last time I used it was a few years back.
    Download ICQ for mobile and switch from costly SMS to FREE messaging!
    They have a Linux version but beware, It's owned by AOL.
    Then you have the Linux variants such as LICQ, SIM, GAIM.

Then there is also....AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo, IRC, MSN, ICQ, Jabber

Linux Guru
    Keep in mind, there are other client applications like ICQ that allow sending SMS messages also. Well the last time I used it was a few years back.
    Download ICQ for mobile and switch from costly SMS to FREE messaging!
    They have a Linux version but beware, It's owned by AOL.
    Then you have the Linux variants such as LICQ, SIM, GAIM.

Then there is also....AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo, IRC, MSN, ICQ, Jabber
    Thanks for advice.

On searching I found Kopete Instant Messenger ;
    Kopete Instant Messenger
    Kopete Instant Messenger - Kopete, The KDE Instant Messenger

It is a KDE package. I'm NOT running KDE on my Ubuntu 12.04 desktop. I'll make further search before installing Kopete.

Anyway I'm running VirtualBox on my PC. It is convenient testing several SMS packages on several clients

satimis