Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have setup redhat as a client for windows 2000 server with an adsl shared connection. The shared connection works fine on the redhat host but when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot View RedHat Host on Windows 2000

Hi there,

I have setup redhat as a client for windows 2000 server with an adsl shared connection.

The shared connection works fine on the redhat host but when i try to browse the redhat client from windows 2000, it throws an error: "Network Path Not Found".

I've pinged from both redhat and windows and i get a reply. But still cannot view the shared files on redhat. I used to be able to do it just fine but since i reinstalled redhat i've been having sharing problems.

I've tried everything that i know but still cant figure it out.

I've set static ip addresses on all the clients ranging from 192.168.0.1 - . . 3.

Can anyone give me any ideas or solutions?

thanx in advance.

nabbs

Linux Engineer
    Try using Samba. It's a file sharing and printing tool.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    i am using samba and i've set share perameters as well. in security tab i've set it to "share" encrypt password "yes" and guest account "nobody" which it defaults to anyway.

i can browse the network through nuatilus in redhat but i cant through konquerer.

I've also specified all the ip addresses in network properties but still no joy!

Linux Engineer
    So you CAN get it working as longs it's done in nautilus. Exactly what are you typing in at the address bar in Konqueror?

Just Joined!
    OK i can browse the redhat host from Windows 2000. I found out the problem! it was the firewall in redhat. I set it to minimum coz i've already got a firewall on the server.

I'm typing smb://hostname. This works on both Nautilus and Konquerer. But Konquerer does not display the files when i click on the shared folders, instead it crashes. any ideas why?

Linux Guru
    A bug, probably. Try upgrading to the latest version. It seems almost too sloppy of RedHat to let such a bug out, though. On the other hand, I believe that it's quite well known that RedHat aren't putting too much effort into KDE, though.

Just Joined!
    yea it was a bug! i've just updated the kde and it works fine now!

thanx for all your help!

Linux Engineer
    What version of KDE were you running when the error happened? I'm running KDE 2.2 via Debian (stable). Of course Debian tests it's software very thoroughly so...

Just Joined!
    i'm running kde 3.1.10 right now.. i dunno what version it was before