Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know. It sounds like I'm making this up, or my keyboard is hooped. But just this morning I logged in as root to restart nfsd. I typed service nfs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Very strange problem: lowercase 'e' will not echo in root login.

I know. It sounds like I'm making this up, or my keyboard is hooped. But just this morning I logged in as root to restart nfsd. I typed

service nfs restart

but what came up was

srvic nfs rstart

I know that everything was good a couple days ago. I don't log in as root much these days. First I thought it was my usb keyboard that I got about a week ago, but, no, on another terminal logged in as user lowercase 'e' works fine.

So I did a bit of diagnostics. Shift-e 'E' works normal. Control-e works normal. showkey (-m/-k/-s) works fine. xev shows it like normal. The only way I can get lowercase 'e' to show at command line, or anywhere for that matter (as root), is to go Control-V e, like I'm trying to get a literal control character in the line. Kind of a pain. I tried xterm, rxvt, gnome-terminal, same thing.

Anyway, I bash at programming pretty hard sometimes, my uptime was about 2 weeks, so I shrug, figure it's time to reboot. That'll cure it for sure. Well, after reboot, and before XSession, virgin system, I first login on tty1 as root. Dagnabbit! The problem is still there! I login tty2 as normal user, lowercase 'e' is fine. So I checked the rest of the keyboard. Every other key works fine. Shift/Control combos, you name it, all good. My poor little lowercase 'e' has got lost!

I suppose what is most funny, is that this could be a cute trick to pull on someone, if I could figure out what the heck is causing it. My root login is plain jane. I have a couple aliases set up and a few convenience scripts, but otherwise I never get fancy with root. My normal user I get as fancy as I like, but never with root.

Can anyone think of anything that would trap lowercase 'e' from being entered? And why only with root?

Linux Engineer
    Maybe this will point you in the right direction:

ubuntu - Remapping keys system wide in linux, not just in X - Super User

Just Joined!

USB keyboard type in dropping or relocating typed words / letters

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    I know. It sounds like I'm making this up, or my keyboard is hooped. But just this morning I logged in as root to restart nfsd. I typed

service nfs restart

but what came up was

srvic nfs rstart

I know that everything was good a couple days ago. I don't log in as root much these days. First I thought it was my usb keyboard that I got about a week ago, but, no, on another terminal logged in as user lowercase 'e' works fine.

So I did a bit of diagnostics. Shift-e 'E' works normal. Control-e works normal. showkey (-m/-k/-s) works fine. xev shows it like normal. The only way I can get lowercase 'e' to show at command line, or anywhere for that matter (as root), is to go Control-V e, like I'm trying to get a literal control character in the line. Kind of a pain. I tried xterm, rxvt, gnome-terminal, same thing.

Anyway, I bash at programming pretty hard sometimes, my uptime was about 2 weeks, so I shrug, figure it's time to reboot. That'll cure it for sure. Well, after reboot, and before XSession, virgin system, I first login on tty1 as root. Dagnabbit! The problem is still there! I login tty2 as normal user, lowercase 'e' is fine. So I checked the rest of the keyboard. Every other key works fine. Shift/Control combos, you name it, all good. My poor little lowercase 'e' has got lost!

I suppose what is most funny, is that this could be a cute trick to pull on someone, if I could figure out what the heck is causing it. My root login is plain jane. I have a couple aliases set up and a few convenience scripts, but otherwise I never get fancy with root. My normal user I get as fancy as I like, but never with root.

Can anyone think of anything that would trap lowercase 'e' from being entered? And why only with root?
    ++++++++++
    Reply:-
    You are not alone in this respect. I used to use a logitech PS2 keyboard & USB mouse with no worries but I could not sit back from my 26" monitor to work efficiently so I purchased a Logitech Wireless Combo mx330. The system works fine most of the time but if I am logging in, 'as in the title for this reply', the first words had to be typed in when the system started to display the type and then transferred to the front of the title, ie:-[USB keyboard typ] had to be added to the front of 'e' to create the title. I have reloaded and checked everywhere to no avail. Putting the old Logitech PS2 keyboard back in, and this issue disappears. It is something to do with the way OpenSuSE 12.2 and perhaps other Linux versions, handles the USB Keyboard & Mouse wireless connections. Why the delay occurs is a mystery or sometimes the type will start appearing in the body of my file or texts that I am working in or sometimes in the text in my CAD drafting, it will create another dialog box which can be a little annoying. I am still trying to isolate what the cause is as it is intermittent and appears to be something with the manner that USB wireless communications is handled.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Well, I figured it out:

A couple days ago I was trying to track down an annoying alias that was always being set, so I went through all of the login scripts (/etc/bashrc, /etc/profile, etc, etc) and added "echo [filename]" to the beginning of them. I wanted to see which order they were executed in, which ones were, which ones were not. After I was done, I commented out all the echo lines.

At least I thought I did. Obviously I missed one. *Do not put "echo etc.inputrc" in /etc/inputrc*. This file is used when you login as root, but not when you login as user, because as user I have .inputrc in my home dir, so it gets used instead. This file is used by readline. I have no idea what it thought I meant by "echo... " but not what I thought I meant.