Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I just have a couple of questions about using Windows XP in VirtualBox within Linux Mint (64 Bit). I have a feeling I already know the answers to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions About Running Windows XP Within VirtualBox

Hello Everyone,

I just have a couple of questions about using Windows XP in VirtualBox within Linux Mint (64 Bit).
    I have a feeling I already know the answers to my own questions but I just want to make sure my assumptions are correct.
    Okay so Windows XP is 32 Bit which means that it is limited to under 4GB of RAM and when you run Linux Mint 64 Bit you now have access to over 4GB of RAM. So my first question is.....

1.) When you load up Windows XP in VirtualBox within Linux Mint can you assign and or will it be able to use more than 4GB of RAM within the VirtualBox session of Windows XP?

2.) Or is there some way to assign Windows XP 4GB of RAM and then also be able to assign a program being run within this virtual session of Windows XP for example Photoshop more RAM as well?
    So Windows XP will have 4GB of RAM assigned to it and Photoshop has say 4GB of RAM assigned to it as well.

3.) My final question is about SSD (Solid State Drives). Windows XP does not really support SSD's but Linux Mint does, now what happens if you install Linux Mint on a SSD and then you run Windows XP with VirtualBox? Does Windows XP run and or save data improperly on that SSD?

I am open to any suggestions/information.

Thank You All In Advance

Hi

1.- NO, the limitation is the operating system, no the hardware or in this case the emulated hardware.
    2.- NO (same as 1)
    3.- Windows should work, but i doubt it will use the full speed of a ssd drive.

Good luck

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The reply by arespi was pretty much on the money, except possibly for his answer to #3. Linux Mint supports the SSD, but will present it to the VM as a standard sata drive. So, you should get most (not all) of the performance it is capable of. In any case, there is always a bit of a loss in I/O performance between the VM and the actual hardware, depending upon how direct the path is via the virtual machine interfaces. VBox is pretty good in that regard, in my experience. So, if you get 80-90% of the raw performance, it is still pretty good!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hey Guys,

Thank you for getting back to me, these were pretty much my assumptions except the answer for my third question was a little more information then I had assumed. I assumed that it would be able to handle it but I wasn't aware of the possible lower performance issue, not bad though considering SSD's are fast, 80-90% is pretty good, probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference.

Thank you both again

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcall View Post
    Hey Guys,

Thank you for getting back to me, these were pretty much my assumptions except the answer for my third question was a little more information then I had assumed. I assumed that it would be able to handle it but I wasn't aware of the possible lower performance issue, not bad though considering SSD's are fast, 80-90% is pretty good, probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference.

Thank you both again
    Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!