Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, Currently using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon I have been trying to assign some hotkeys/shortcuts but I have not been able to get them to work successfully. I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Hello Everyone,

Currently using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon

I have been trying to assign some hotkeys/shortcuts but I have not been able to get them to work successfully. I know to go under Keyboards, Shortcuts, +Add Custom Shortcut, I type in the description, I browse to the program, and then I assign what key combination I want and it registers, but when I try it out nothing happens.
    Some shortcuts I want basically revolve around the Super key (Windows keyboard key) so I want....
    Super-E = Open up the File Explorer
    Super-F = Open up Firefox
    I mean when I hit the super key alone it opens up the Linux Menu and when press Super-D it is already setup to show the desktop, so I know the super key works with Linux I just have not been able to.

Thank You All For Your Help

Just Joined!
    Just wondering if anyone had any advice.

As I mentioned I know where to setup the keyboard shortcut but I unfortunately have not been successful at setting one up, so I must be doing something wrong.
    I can get the "keyboard binding" to show the correct (keyboard shortcut) "new accelerator"
    For example Super-E (which is the Windows Key + E).
    I think where I am going wrong is when you set the shortcut up it appears in the "keyboard shortcuts"
    list. If you double click on the keyboard shortcut in the list a windows pops up with the heading "add custom shortcut" and in this window are the following fields to enter.....
    Name: where you type in the name of what you want the shortcut to be called
    Command: This is where I think I am going wrong

Does anyone know what I would have to type in the "Command" field to open up Firefox and what to type to open up the file manager? It also allows you to browse to a particular file to open, but I don't know where to find the file manager application.
    I am assuming it would be what you would type in the terminal but I am not sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Just Joined!
    Just to share, I decided to update to Linux Mint Cinnamon 15 which now allows for shortcuts with the "super" / "windows" key.
    I believe my problem was that in version 14 it was not possible, not sure if this is 100% true, but now the same methods I tried in 14 that didn't work now work in 15.

Thank you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close