Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I have a couple more Windows XP actions I am trying to replicate. Currently using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 1.) In Windows XP when you are in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some More Windows XP Actions I Am Looking To Replicate

Hello Everyone,

I have a couple more Windows XP actions I am trying to replicate.

Currently using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon

1.) In Windows XP when you are in the "file explorer" you can click and drag a selection/highlighting window to select/highlight multiple files, but when I try this in the Linux Mint file manager this does selection/highlighting window does not exist at all.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to replicate this?
    I know that you can select a file and hold the shift and or ctrl keys to select more than one file, but I really would a selection window which eliminates the need to use the keyboard to perform this task.

2.)In Windows XP when you have two or more windows opened you can right click in the task bar at the bottom and a menu pops up with the options "tile windows horizontally" and "tile windows vertically" in Windows 7 they are now labeled "tile windows side by side" which snaps the windows....
    for example two windows opened it will snap them side by side vertically and if you have four windows opened it will snap them into four squares like this
    -----
    | | |
    | | |
    -----
    | | |
    | | |
    -----

I know in Linux Mint if you drag a window into right or left corner it will snap that window but I am looking for a way to do this easier as described above.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thank You

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    1. The rubber band selection thingy is certainly there in Cinnamon (Mint 15) by clicking outside an icon and dragging
    2. Don't know!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your response,

I have heard to try out different file managers, such as Thunar, which I am thinking about trying it out.
    I have also heard that there may be some programs that allow for windows tiling management.

If anyone else has any more advice that they would like to share I would appreciate it.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Possibly of some help. See full man page for details ... cheers, drl
    Code:
    SYNOPSIS
           awesome [ -v | --version ] [ -h | --help ] [ -k | --check ] [ -s |
           --sync ] [ --config | -c configuration file ]

DESCRIPTION
           awesome is a window manager for X. It manages windows in different
           layouts, like floating or tiled. Either layout can be applied
           dynamically, optimizing the environment for the application in use and
           the task performed.
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )