Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have been using linux (Kubuntu x64 to be exact) for a few months and I use an bootable Clonezilla USB drive to make and recover images of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to create a recovery partition?

Hi all,

I have been using linux (Kubuntu x64 to be exact) for a few months and I use an bootable Clonezilla USB drive to make and recover images of the system, and works great.

Now I want to make in the hard drive a recovery partition that will allow me to press a key or something similar when booting the computer and then go to a recovery option with what I can restore the computer to the default state.

I need all to be in the internal hard drive, not on a USB drive, and I need the recovery process to be easy to use (I don't wan't to have to select partitions or other options).

Mainly, I understand that making this can be a bit difficult, but I don't mind, the question is that the result, i mean, the recovery option must be simple and easy to use.

Anyone knows how could I do this?

Many thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    You would just put whatever you created with clonezilla and put on the usb drive on a separate partition on your hard drive and then put a correct entry to boot it. It would be pretty useless to put it on the same partition on which you have Kubuntu since the purpose of recovery assumes the installed system doesn't work. Of course, it there is a problem with the installed system, there may also be a problem with the bootloader or the partition on which it is installed. Most boot files are on the system partition. If that were the case, you wouldn't be able to boot. If you had your clonezilla backup on a separate drive, you could have a separate bootloader. With other systems such as windows, you need to access the installed system bootloader or use a Recovery CD/flash drive.

The above problems are the reasons people use CD/DVD/flash drives for that purpose.