Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did an "acpi -V" and got this for my battery. " design capacity 7800 mAh, last full capacity 6814 mAh = 87%" which looks like it's not fully charged. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resetting my laptop battery.

I did an "acpi -V" and got this for my battery.
    " design capacity 7800 mAh, last full capacity 6814 mAh = 87%" which looks like it's not fully charged. I remember seeing something about a Terminal command that'll let me totally discharge my battery then reset the 100% level and recharge to get it back to REAL full capacity. Can someone remember what those commands were? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    You can't simply reset the battery. Discharging completely a lithium ion battery actually kills it (don't worry, all lion batteries have a microcontroller to monitor usage so it can't be fully discharged quickly). If it only charges to 6814mAh then that's the highest charge it will accept. This is normal, and batteries lose capacity as they are used.

you can google ways to condition the battery, but practically it won't make a noticeable difference and will be a waste of time.

Conditioning a battery... I hate the term. And I hate the fact that there's not really a layman way to explain it. I don't get it all myself either.

Here ya go... Lithium batteries in laptops or cell-phones, on occasion, need to drain 100%. Like... let the device die from lack of charge.

Most newer devices include a piece of firmware that monitors battery charge... but if there is no zero charge, then there is no way to accurately monitor what would be considered a full charge.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If this is the laptop you traded the bb gun for. Then that sounds about right because of age. If you wanna try this

Netbook battery won't charge past 70%.

be my guest.

I remember seeing something about a Terminal command that'll let me totally discharge my battery then reset the 100% level and recharge to get it back to REAL full capacity. Can someone remember what those commands were? Thanks
    Somebody else will have to chime in on that one. I have no idea. Shoot, I don't even have acpi installed.

Code:
     $ acpi -v
    The program 'acpi' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install acpi
    Not that I need it

Code:
     cd /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1
    harry@biker /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1 $ ls
    alarm               current_now   model_name     status      uevent
    charge_full         cycle_count   power          subsystem   voltage_min_design
    charge_full_design  device        present        technology  voltage_now
    charge_now          manufacturer  serial_number  type

Just Joined!
    You can't go any further than http : // batteryuniversity.com /learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
    Quote from battery university:
    The aging process of lithium-ion is cell oxidation, a process that occurs naturally as part of usage and aging and cannot be reversed.

I just checked with the extra battery that he threw with the deal using "acpi -V" and got this "design capacity 6600 mAh, last full capacity 6930 mAh = 100%", it's actually MORE then it's designed to be, LOL.
    Guess it all works out in the end.