Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a computer I wanted to salvage to try and put Linux Mint 13 64bit Xfce on. It is an E-Machines T6528 Desktop PC with AMD Athlon64,ADA3500DAA4BW. The processor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

switching AMD Athlon processors

I have a computer I wanted to salvage to try and put Linux Mint 13 64bit Xfce on. It is an E-Machines T6528 Desktop PC with AMD Athlon64,ADA3500DAA4BW. The processor I want to replace it with is AMD Athlon64, ADA3200AIO4BX. Obvious question is can I downgrade my processor like this. It currently has a WesternDigital 500GB HD in it with WindowsXPHomeSP3,Lite-On CDRom drives(1rewritable),basic. Motherboard is ms7207 ver 2.0. K8NGM-H. I am very novice at computers and made several assumptions about the processors, one being that the physical dimensions were the same(heat sink) and the pinout for the socket939 wouldn't cause any problems.

Original problem: Upon powering up the computer it would immediately power off. It could not be powered back on until first unplugging the power supply for about twenty seconds. I unplugged the power button from the mother board and shorted the connector at the board to rule out a sticky power button. Same thing. Then I unplugged all my hardware from the MB and tried again, same thing. Then I unplugged the JPW1 connector that feeds power to the Athlon. Bingo! The fan stays running. I then removed the heat sink/fan and processor and plugged the four pin connector back in and the power supply didn't trip so that rules the plug out. I also operated the lock mechanism on the socket(with an insulated tool)while power on and fans running to see if I could short it out.

The Athlon looked brown on top like it got hot, it was mostly the thermal compound though as the processor and heat sink both cleaned up nicely with alcohol. The pin side of the AMD also doesn't look scorched, nor does the socket. I was hoping the throw this new $9 processor in it I bought of the net and at least get to a screen of some kind.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

As long as the processor fits the proper socket and the clock speed is the same you can go up or down without any problems. My current Dell 1521 has the AMD Sempron processor at 2.0GHz in the AM2 socket, if I wanted too I could upgrade to an Athlon X2 processor without any problems but as long as it keeps chuggin' away I'm not going to spend the cash on a new one.
    Just hit your BIOS and see what your clock speed is now(if you can) and then check specs for the new processor on the interweb and that'll let you know where your at.

Just Joined!
    The one coming out is 2.2GHz. I have no idea about the one going in. Ill try and google the numbers on it and see if I can come up with a speed. Thanks for the reply.

Just Joined!
    The speeds are the same the sockets are different. The 3500 is a 939 and the 3200 is a 754. Just a minor setback. I did some more looking and found some on line exactly like mine.

Ahh, yep, that'd make it impossible to swap. You've got to have the same socket. Maybe you can find someone to trade with that'd have one that'd fit? Heck, even check EvilBay, they've got all kinds of computer stuff on their site and sometimes at a pretty decent price too.