Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just set up my system for dual boot between XP and Mandrake Linux. I need to access the boot.ini file on my xp partition to change the location ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTFS write access problem

Hi, I just set up my system for dual boot between XP and Mandrake Linux. I need to access the boot.ini file on my xp partition to change the location of the HAL.ini file to the correct partition. Unfortunately, I installed XP in NTFS, and now have only read access with Mandrake. Ive read up on NTFS write access using linux, and it seems that occasionally, writing through Linux to NTFS partitions causes filesystem damage. Any help here would be useful. All I need is to boot into something that can access the NTFS files system and modify one character in the boot.ini file. There is one restriction, and that is that I have no floppy drive (laptop). Id appreciate any help or suggestions I can get.
    Thanks
    Jere

If you want you can recompile the kernal to suport ntfs writing;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Im a bit new to linux

One other thing, Im a bit new to linux. A bit of elaboration on how to perform the suggestions made would be extremely helpful.
    Thanks-
    Jere

Ok maybe someone else can say exactly how to do it since I've never had to do it.

Baiscly it will enable you to write ntfs from linux, but will have the problems with possible corruption, I would keep this method as a last resort, and wait untill maybe a few other suggestions have come through.

I posted so that you could know wat to ask for in other questions etc on enabling ntfs writing in linux;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    2.6.x kernels and above provide ntfs read/write support.so the only thing is to compile such a kernel enabling ntfs support in the filesystem section when you do make menuconfig or xconfig to configure the modules to load into the kernel....
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

Thanks, Problem is fixed

I ended up installing Captive to get NTFS support since i was worried about how well safely the included linux kernel NTFS write support worked (read that it could corrupt the NTFS filesystem), and that worked out really well. In case anyone comes across this and needs it, the link to it's webpage is
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied, and that the feedback was much appreciated.

-Jere

Linux Enthusiast
    There's a LOT of misunderstanding about the write support in 2.6 kernels...
    It does exist, and it's perfectly safe, BUT it can only write to files without changing the filesize and it can't add/remove files or folders- VERY limited in other words. Basically, you've already gone the smart route if you're using captive. My problem with captive is the write support is SLOW.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050