Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently found a program called Hardinfo that gives you system info on your computer and also has some Benchmarking tests. Doing the CPU Blowfish Benchmarking test with Ubuntu 12.04LTS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Op System vs Benchmarking?

I recently found a program called Hardinfo that gives you system info on your computer and also has some Benchmarking tests. Doing the CPU Blowfish Benchmarking test with Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my HP nc8230 I got 21.08. I just retested it with Linux Mint 15 MATE installed in place of 12.04 and got 18.20. Soooooo, my question is this, would the Op System make that big of a difference in Benchmarking the CPU? I just thought it was kind of cool that I picked up almost 3 points just by changing Op Systems.

Linux Enthusiast
    On my 3 year 4 month old notebook running Gentoo yields a CPU Blowfish Benchmarking test result of 1.83, so I do not think that I will be installing other flavors of Linux to see how it changes.
    blowfish.jpg

My recently acquired HP/Compaq nc6400 with a Core Duo 1.83GHz Intel CPU scored in the low 9's, not to shabby for something that's that old.
    Who'd have thought that an Op System would actually make the Benchmark of the CPU faster or slower?

Linux Enthusiast
    It is not the OS that makes the differences. It depends on the optimization that is present when the distribution packages are create. Since I use gentoo, I get to set the options for my machine and then compile all packages from source when I install them. Yes, installation is slower this way, but it gives snappy system.