Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
What is the max RAM you can handle on the motherboard? You can still order DDR-133 from Amazon. I might have something laying around. Code: dmidecode -t 16 Should give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What is the max RAM you can handle on the motherboard? You can still order DDR-133 from Amazon. I might have something laying around.

Code:
    dmidecode -t 16
    Should give you max RAM on the motherboard.

You might want to upgrade the BIOS.

Edit: What is the Model of the computer?

Not really sure, probably just standard low density since it's such an old machine. Heck, it had Windows ME on it so that does that tell ya'. LOL
    It's not a huge priority, just thought if I could maybe find a stick locally I'd get it and toss it in. Thanks for the links though.

As far as doing a BIOS upgrade, I'm still not on the Interweb yet and I really didn't want to mess with it that much. This is more of a "can I get it to work" deal then something that'll actually be used a lot. Of course if I can get on the Interweb with the little USB/WiFi deal then my grandson would maybe use it to look stuff up on the Interweb for his homework and what have you.

Ok, checked, the old Dell L866r can handle up to a whoppin' 512MB of RAM. Oh well, like I said, this was mostly just for fun to see if I could even get it up and running and thanks to Linux I have.

Yep, Dell L866r uses Low Density 16 chip ram (8 chips on front and back of stick) instead of 8 chip high density ram. Something to remember TNFrank.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    The specs are a Pentium III, 866MHz with 348GB of DDR-133MHz ram and I think the hard drive is 30GB but I'd not swear to it, might only be 3GB.
    It should have no problem booting PAE. I installed the current Debian Stable release on several computers similar to that one. Debian's installer defaults to PAE, which is fine by me. It worked out-of-box on all of them. 384 megs of RAM is plenty, although I'd run XFCE4 instead of the default GNOME3 desktop environment.

For comparison, the computers I have installed Debian onto range from a 433Mhz Celeron (Pentium III based) with 256 megs of SDRAM to an 866Mhz Pentium III with 512 megs of SDRAM.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

When I checked under System Information for CPU specs there was no PAE listed like on my other computers so the CPU is defiantly a non PAE processor. Same with a recent laptop I've gotten with a PIII 866MHz processor, no PAE so it got Mint 13 MATE because it actually had a DVD-ROM drive so I could install using the DVD I'd burned. This machine would have gotten Mint 13 MATE too except for the fact that it only has a CD-RW drive and can't read DVD's.
    My daughter seems pretty happy with Wolfer, once I get the USB/WiFi adapter then I can get online and do an update and upgrade to get things up to speed.
    I'm going to keep an eye out for another 256MB stick of DDR-133 but it's not going to be a huge deal if I can't find it, seems to run ok on 348MB.
    That's something I couldn't say about Windows which needs tons or RAM to run.LOL

Are you SURE? I mean REALLY sure? Because as far as I can tell, EVERY Pentium III supports PAE (and every Pentium II, for that matter).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I went in under Terminal to check how much memory is supported and got 512MB as max.
    I did get this off of Wiki:
    "First implemented in the Intel Pentium Pro in 1995, it was extended by AMD to add a level to the page table hierarchy, to allow it to handle up to 52-bit physical addresses, add NX bit functionality, and make it the mandatory memory paging model in long mode.[1] PAE is supported by Intel Pentium Pro and later Pentium-series processors except most 400 MHz-bus versions of the Pentium M.[citation needed] It is also available on AMD processors such as the AMD Athlon and later AMD processor models."
    So who knows, maybe I'll slap a CD with a PAE version of Linux into the drive and see what happens.

I believe I have a 256MB RAM for that, I'll double check when I get home tonight, but should be a match for you.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'll send it along if you want it.

A huge difference from 386MB to 512MB, my old PIII was much faster.

You might need to check into a BIOS upgrades for those old machines.

I appreciate the extra RAM slw210. I know another 128MB doesn't sound like much these days but for this old machine it'll be huge to have a full 512MB.
    Still trying to get the WiFi sorted out, think It might have USB 1.0 and that's why the Adapter isn't working. I plugged it into my laptop and it'll show up as another WiFi network so I know the USB/WiFi adapter is working, just not with this old machine. Wonder how hard it'd be to find a PCI card to use to pick up WiFi for something this old? There's still two PCI slots not taken on the mother board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast