Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cheap USB hub

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    LOL, I bumped that up from 256MB by taking a 256MB DDR-133 out of my old iMac and replacing one of the 128MB RAMs. Wolfer seems to be working pretty well on this old machine. Gnome 2 desktop looks a lot and feels a lot like the Gnome 3 MATE desktop I'm using now. Also found out it has a woppin' 10GB hard drive,LOL. After install I've still got 6.4GB free.
    Now I need to get hooked to the Interweb. It has a modem(i.e. phone jack) connection but no RJ-45 Ethernet or WiFi. I wonder if one of those USB WiFi deals with the small antenna would work? I'm sure this is only USB 1.1. Need to do some research but it's kind of cool to get this old machine up and running. Thanks to Linux.

P.S.
    Ok, just ordered a 150Mbps Mini USB Wireless WiFi Network Card 802.11b/g/n Antenna LAN Adapter off of Evil-Bay for $6.29 shipped. From what I read the USB 2.0 will simply be slowed down to USB 1.1 specs but hey, that's better then NO WiFi at all, especially on this older machine and I'm sure I'd not be able to find a PCI WiFi card for it anyway so may as well use one of the two USB ports on the back of the machine for WiFi. The other is being used by a USB optical mouse so No USB for anyone on this machine unless I get a cheap USB hub to plug into.
    ========
    A cheap USB hub can sometimes be found for US$ 1.00 at Dollar Tree

Quote Originally Posted by highlandham View Post
    ========
    A cheap USB hub can sometimes be found for US$ 1.00 at Dollar Tree
    Still won't be 2.0 USB.

I would suggest PCI USB 2.0 card ..... PCI USB 2.0

That should be affordable.

or for the WiFi

PCI WIFI

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    Still won't be 2.0 USB.

I would suggest PCI USB 2.0 card ..... PCI USB 2.0

That should be affordable.

or for the WiFi

PCI WIFI
    Doesn't matter if it's USB 2.0 or not, the computer is only USB 1.1, adding a USB 2.0 hub to it will only get the hub slowed down to 1.1 anyway. Just going to plug a new keyboard(hopefully she'll buy one, the original looks like crap) and a mouse to it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's why I suggested the PCI USB 2.0, it will be USB 2.0.

Your memory is in the mail.

I wonder if this old Mother Board would even support USB 2.0 or if the bus speed would just slow 2.0 down too much? Anyway, this is just kind of a fun, something to do budget build just to see if I can get this old system up and running and connected to the interweb.
    Now that my daughter has finally broken down and got Internet at her place I could get an Ethernet PCI card and she could just plug in with an RJ-45 and not have to worry about WiFi.
    I have installed Peppermint 4 OS on the system since I've found out it can work with a PAE supported Distro. Seems to be doing pretty well, the extra memory should also help out a lot. Thanks.