Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I'm newly registered to this forum, and I hope you can help me fix the brand new USB flash drive that I seem to have screwed up... Here's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question I think I killed my USB flash drive

Hello everyone! I'm newly registered to this forum, and I hope you can help me fix the brand new USB flash drive that I seem to have screwed up...

Here's what happened: I was running Slacko Puppy from a live CD (because I somehow screwed up my main install of Peppermint 3 trying to be fancy and tweak the login screen, but that's another issue...). I got tired of choosing my options every time Puppy booted, so I switched to using a live USB (1gb). All was fine until I started getting a popup stating Puppy can't save my files because I'm running out of storage. I deleted unnecessary stuff from the Downloads folder, pics, etc. and it saved my personalized settings file no problem.

I bought another USB flash drive, almost identical except this one was 8gb. My plan was to put Puppy on the new USB stick so I'd have more room to keep working while I tried to fix my Peppermint install. Not really thinking it through (maybe because it was 3am), I figured the easiest way was to copy and paste everything from the 1gb flash drive onto the new 8gb flash drive.

I booted Puppy from the live CD, then plugged in both USB drives. Both were detected immediately, no problem. I mounted both, again no problem. From the file manager, I went to the "mnt" folder, opened the 1gb drive (folder "sdh"), and selected everything in it. I tried to copy and paste the contents of the "sdh" folder into the 8gb drive (folder "sdi"). The process started no problem. I left the room for awhile and when I came back it appeared finished (the progress box had disappeared). A quick look into the "sdi" folder showed a bunch of other folders and it looked like the right stuff.

I rebooted the computer and removed the 1gb flash drive and the CD, expecting the new 8gb drive to boot Puppy. It didn't work. In fact, the BIOS didn't even recognize that the USB drive was there.

From the live CD again, I plugged in the 8gb drive but nothing happened. It wasn't detected by Gparted, Partview, Rox filer, Pmount, or Gdmap. I tried fdisk from terminal but it didn't list the flash drive either. I tried lsusb and it DID list the drive there.

I looked at the tail of dmesg for a hint of the problem, but nothing was out of the ordinary. TestDisk didn't detect the drive automatically, and kept saying mount point doesn't exist when I specified it using the info from dmesg.

I tried to force format the drive with
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1 seek=446 count=64
    then with
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1 count=512
    but I got errors stating "No medium found".

I plugged the drive into a friend's computer running Ubuntu, but same thing happened. I tried another machine running Windows Vista, again the same thing. Windows detected the USB drive but listed it as "0 bytes". The format option in Windows failed too, telling me there was no drive present in F: (weird since the USB drive WAS drive F.)

I tried some USB recovery programs in Windows but they all failed. I even tried someone's suggestion about using a Windows install CD to delete the partition, but that didn't work either. At that part of the install process where you choose the drive, the USB wasn't listed.

Now I've basically exhausted every idea I can think up or find online. I'm pretty sure the drive itself is not broken because the light on it lights up. Plus, it was working fine just a few minutes before.

I'd really like to get this thing working if that's possible. I refuse to believe that I've just completely killed a brand new 8gb USB drive by pasting those files onto it. Somehow the partition table seems to have gotten screwed up, and now NO operating systems seem able to work with this thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!
    Cutting and pasting is not how you do it. Your operating system has to be on that usb stick in the form of a .iso file. Same as a burnt disk. Also bios needs to be set to boot from usb. I doubt you totally destroyed your thumb drive. I only know what I've read and I've never personally formatted a usb so I cant help with that.

Yes, I know that's not how to move files (if the intention is to make the usb bootable). I know I should have used something like Unetbootin or Yumi. I've made over a dozen bootable usb drives with several different distros on them. And working in both Linux and Windows, I've formatted countless usb drives using tools from both operating systems. I wasn't surprised that the usb didn't boot up, once I realized my error (facepalm). But what did surprise me is that the usb is now unrecognizable everywhere. That's what I'm trying to fix.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close