Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wanted to post a quick update on the old Dell L866r desktop that I'm getting into shape for my daughter and grandson to use. I received the PCI WiFi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update on Dell L866r Desktop that I'm fixin' up.

Just wanted to post a quick update on the old Dell L866r desktop that I'm getting into shape for my daughter and grandson to use.
    I received the PCI WiFi card today, plugged it in and low and behold, we now have interweb via WiFi on this old computer.
    Aside from putting the old 60GB hard drive out of my dead iMac into it to replace the dying 10GB stock unit I've also replaced the CD-RW drive with the old DVD-RW(aka Super Drive) from my old iMac into the Dell so it'll do both CDs and DVDs now.
    This allowed me to install Point Linux OS MATE onto it. I tried to get Linux Mint 13 MATE to install 3 times without success but Point Linux OS went on without a hitch and it still has that nice MATE desktop that I love.
    Hopefully the low density 256MB RAM will be here by Friday so I can get it bumped up to a full 512MB of RAM, that should help out quite a bit over the current 348MB that it has.
    Anyway, just wanted to let ya' know how things were going and that thanks to Linux and my dead iMac my daughter and grandson will have a computer that they can get a few more years of use out of.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good for you! These days 512MB is not a lot of RAM, but some Linux systems will still run nicely with that little bit, especially running a light-weight desktop. Since the standard Linux Mint OS is Ubuntu-based, it requires more RAM than you have, unless you allocate a fair chunk of swap space (like at least 2GB worth). In that case, it will run like a pig and the kids will probably not be very happy with it! I think you probably made some wise decisions in that regard.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Replying to this in 64bit Mint Mate 14. Check out ram usage with Firefox open and conky running

Code:
     $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: MATE 1.4.2  Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
    Machine:   Mobo: SAMSUNG model: RV410/RV510/S3510/E3510 Bios: Phoenix version: 02UC.P026.20100916.LX date: 09/16/2010
    CPU:       Dual core Pentium CPU T4500 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 9176.42 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
    Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 06:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (22.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HM321HI size: 320.1GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 18G used: 4.5G (28%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 163G used: 61G (40%) fs: btrfs 
               ID: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 44.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 166 Uptime: 6:30 Memory: 663.9/3887.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 
               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.9.13
    166 processes at 633MB of ram may be a little stressful on that Dell. So /swap partition will be a must have like rubberman said.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Yep, Firefox eats up about 360MB of RAM with just a single decently decked out page open(local Weather site) so it's not going to be for anykind of hardcore gaming or power surfing by any means but it did do nicely when my daughter went onto the web to pay a couple bills and should work fine for looking info up for school projects and stuff. I don't think 512MB is enough to open up YouTube stuff, we tried and while it did load the actual video did not so probably not enough memory for that and it wouldn't play a DVD either which puzzled me since that shouldn't go into RAM at all. Anyway, just nice to have the old desktop running and not sitting in a closet some place.

P.S.
    I wonder if something like Lucid Puppy or the like would free up more RAM for running stuff since it shouldn't take up much space on the desktop? Any advice or information would be helpful. Thanks.

With 512MB of ram. I would do a full install of Lucid to it's own partition instead of frugal. Frugal install loads to ram and takes up ram when running.

On my 512MB 1000hz IBM A22M laptop. AntiX idles at 68MB of ram with conky running on a Icewm desktop. It would probably even be running lower
    if I switched using F1 at login screen and used JWM or Fluxbox in AntiX.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I gave AntiX a look and it seemed to be pretty hard to use, at least for me. Remember, my daughter and grandson aren't computer geeks like some of us are, LOL, they need a simple op system to run so they won't bork their system. I'm going to let them play with Point Linux OS for a few days them maybe we'll see about Lucid Puppy full install to free up some RAM.