Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, this has begun to totally bug the stuffings out of me. Second, I'm not a newbie. I can make my own uninformed guesses. Please no answers..... 'I think that's...' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What is "--sm-client-id" in a process?

First, this has begun to totally bug the stuffings out of me.

Second, I'm not a newbie. I can make my own uninformed guesses. Please no answers..... 'I think that's...' or 'Sounds to me like...' or 'Need more info, please print out all your logs and error messages....'. If you haven't seen this, and don't know what it is, please listen rather than talk. Questions are always appropriate.

I'm running SuSE 11.4, Firefox 16.0.2

My question: What is --sm................. I can't find anything about --sm-client-id either in the man help files or searching the net. Not Google, not Linux formus. These --sm qualifiers seem to attach to processes with no pattern. For any specific program, sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

I first noticed these attached to Firefox starting about 6 months ago, but like the car that doesn't rattle when you ask the mechanic to listen, it's not there on Firefox right now. When this first happened, it seemed like my net browser would slow to a crawl and then, if I killed Firefox and restarted it, the browser would speed back up. But that's just an impression. I can't think of anything different/new I started doing or stopped doing at the time. I thought about it then and now.

When I run ps aux I now get MANY processes with --sm switches such as:

gnome-panel --sm-client-id 1051be0e3154091d

nautilus --sm-client-id 1073216339822

mono /usr/lib64/tomboy/Tomboy.exe --sm-disable --panel-applet --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:TomboyApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=26

gnome-terminal --sm-client-id 10b75a0fe4836c123135749864978475600000017320038 --sm-client-state-file /home/tgdf/.config/session-state/gnome-terminal-1379067940.desktop

nm-applet --sm-disable

sol --sm-client-id 10b75a0fe4836c123135749874184655000000017320040 --variation klondike.scm --seed 2447198916

This is an example of a client-state file:

[Desktop Entry]
    X-SuSE-translate=true
    DocPath=evince
    Name=Evince
    Comment=View multi-page documents
    TryExec=evince
    Exec='evince' '--sm-client-state-file' '%k'
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=evince
    NoDisplay=true
    X-GNOME-DocPath=
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=evince
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=BugBuddyBugs
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.32.0
    Categories=GNOME;GTK;Graphics;Office;Viewer;
    MimeType=application/pdf;application/x-bzpdf;application/x-gzpdf;application/postscript;application/x-bzpostscript;application/x-gzpostscript;image/x-eps;image/x-bzeps;image/x-gzeps;application/x-dvi;application/x-bzdvi;application/x-gzdvi;image/vnd.djvu;image/tiff;application/x-cbr;application/x-cbz;application/x-cb7;application/x-cbt;image/*;application/vnd.sun.xml.impress;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation;

[Evince]
    uri=file:///media/MSI/media/MSI.Data/D/Market%20Analysis/ValueLine/Today/01,Insurance,Prop,Casul,130913.pdf

What the HECK is --sm? Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Really it was not hard to find out:

GNOME desktop basics

I googled for "--sm-client-id" (with quotes, otherwise google would strip the -- and - ) and it was the first hit