Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
I recently have gotten a copy of "Hacking : The Art of Exploitation" and can't get the live CD to boot. My machine has Win7 currently installed. I can load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Live CD boot problem

I recently have gotten a copy of "Hacking : The Art of Exploitation" and can't get the live CD to boot. My machine has Win7 currently installed. I can load live CD's of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and various Mint versions. This is an older version of Ubuntu but it hangs up. I have disabled the GeForce graphics card and used the internal on board VGA but no luck. Machine specs. are: Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD. Didn't have this problem when this machine was running WinXp Pro.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just saying that it doesn't work, doesn't work for us! Please describe the symptoms of the problem/failure - ie, where does it fail? What error messages were displayed? Have you verified the CRC/md5sum/sha1sum of the CD image? Are you sure it was burned properly? Have you tried to install it in a virtual machine?
    rokytnji likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Just saying that it doesn't work, doesn't work for us! Please describe the symptoms of the problem/failure - ie, where does it fail? What error messages were displayed? Have you verified the CRC/md5sum/sha1sum of the CD image? Are you sure it was burned properly? Have you tried to install it in a virtual machine?
    I'm sorry, I should have stated this in the original post. The CD is okay, it loads properly in 3 other machines and the software operates as expected. There are no error messages of any kind, the system just stops responding. All that is visible on the screen is a blinking cursor. BTW, this machine runs Win7 just fine and also runs Ubuntu 12.04 Live just fine also. As far as asking if I was sure it was burned properly, it is a commercial product so I think you should write to the publisher and ask them. I mean you have to start trusting somebody right ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrunner55 View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have stated this in the original post. The CD is okay, it loads properly in 3 other machines and the software operates as expected. There are no error messages of any kind, the system just stops responding. All that is visible on the screen is a blinking cursor. BTW, this machine runs Win7 just fine and also runs Ubuntu 12.04 Live just fine also. As far as asking if I was sure it was burned properly, it is a commercial product so I think you should write to the publisher and ask them. I mean you have to start trusting somebody right ?
    To quote our late "esteemed" President Reagan, "Trust, but verify!"...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!