Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used the net install, installed xorg, openbox, splashimages, slim... I configured all these to give me the look I want... my issue now... during boot, after I select the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remove text boot messages - debian 7 net install

I used the net install, installed xorg, openbox, splashimages, slim... I configured all these to give me the look I want... my issue now... during boot, after I select the 1 option on grub (looking good now, but still wish it was hidden) I see all these init messages before the slim screen loads...

Question: Is there a way to pipe these to another virtual terminal, or remove them from being shown during boot, so that I only see GUI?

I see that Linux Mint does this with their logo, they hide all the messages... I was wondering how that was done?

I understand that the messages shown are in some cases important, and that there is some risk in hiding them. At this point, I want to know the steps involved to get them hidden, I can worry about the caveats afterwords.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Can't say for sure about Mint, but the usual way to bypass the console and go directly to a GUI is with plymouth. Install plymouth, and whatever themes you like, and you should go directly to a graphical interface without seeing the console messages.

This has detailed set up info on it. Not sure how much building you did from scratch. On most deb derived distros all you have to do is edit grub for quiet splash. Everything else necessary is already there. But, if you built from the CLI up you may need some of the back end stuff too. The link has it all.

Just Joined!
    Thank you. Plymouth did it... it was as simple as apt-get install plymouth, then add splash in the /etc/default/grub... now on to customizing it.. that loading bar at the bottom looks better than text, but still not amazing.