Find the answer to your Linux question:
A long time ago, maybe '95 or '97, there was a Unix computer in the house. It had this unique mouse pointer as the system loaded that looked like an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Memories of Mouse Pointers

A long time ago, maybe '95 or '97, there was a Unix computer in the house. It had this unique mouse pointer as the system loaded that looked like an 'X' instead of an angled arrow. It might have changed to an arrow as the system continued to load.

The computer was an IBM PS/2 x86. To the best of my recollection, it ran Solaris. I also think you needed to start the graphical environment by typing startx.

Anyways, probably a long shot, but what OS could it have been? I never saw the 'X' pointer again. I was little back then.

Thanks all.

You answered your own question in saying it ran Solaris, well technically it was SunOS, Solaris was the collective environment. It's running X-windows which could be configured to look many different ways.

Just Joined!
    That was a lucky guess. Why doesn't Linux use the X pointer? Doesn't it use X-windows as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Apples555 View Post
    That was a lucky guess. Why doesn't Linux use the X pointer? Doesn't it use X-windows as well?
    If I remember right Solaris' default window manger was CDE one of the early window mangers. Some of the old window managers are still around, don't know how much application support you will find for them. Here's a link to site with info on old X windows managers. Window Managers for X

Just Joined!
    I think the 'X' pointer changed to a regular angled arrow after the system booted completely. I remember these screens:

s21-owsplash.jpg

s21-owdesk.jpg

So I guess it was OpenWindows, which is discontinued. I guess I'm curious what the 'X' pointer was doing there if it changes to a regular arrow eventually anyway. Is the X-Windows regular pointer an X, and OpenWindows/KDE/whatever environment you have changes it to a regular arrow?