Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm creating a new distro based on Ubuntu. It's a roll your own /remastered project but I suppose many distros start that way. Where, what places can I advertise this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where & How do you advertise a new distro thats in development?

I'm creating a new distro based on Ubuntu. It's a roll your own /remastered project but I suppose many distros start that way.

Where, what places can I advertise this to get folks interested in the project?

I don't know if an intro post for the distro is allowed here.

How can you post about a new distro without offending folks at other distros - it's not like it would be appropriate to post about it in the various distro forums so whats the accepted Linux community way of getting the word out?

Just trying to dot my I's and cross my T's and not offend anyone as much as possible.

Thanks.

Personally, I'm not sure where the definite place would be to start.
    Perhaps you could get in touch with some of the developers of smaller distros and see if they could pass some information your way. Like maybe the TinyCore team, for example.
    Second thought, maybe get in touch with the guys over at DistroWatch. While a less likely option, they may have something to throw your way.

Before doing all that, you may want to get some documentation together for anything that will be specific to your spin. Also, make sure that you have a suitable download link available.

Just my 2 cents. Not sure how much it helps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answer and tips.

I did look back over the Forum Rules and they suggest using the Product Showcase. I did however look over the entries and did not see any distros listed.

My distro is in development. I wish to be able to introduce the OS and gain volunteers to help me test the distro when it's first test release is done. I may use the product showcase even though it doesn't seem to be for distros per se.. they don't say I couldn't showcase a distro there - I'll just have to wait until it's got a public release for download.

Thanks again..

If anyone has more ideas, I'd gladly welcome them. I really need a good place to solicit volunteers and perhaps put together a dev team to help with the project.

I think it's sad and very odd that one of the largest Linux forums, this one, doesn't allow folks to freely post about their distros. I think there should be a section for new and upcoming distros.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The Programming/Scripting or Kernel sections would be the places to get some discussions going. Others who might have more ideas may get in on it with you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.