Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to get some advice on this because it seems like a daunting task. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to Linux, but I've been reading up on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rolling a gaming OS?

I'd like to get some advice on this because it seems like a daunting task. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to Linux, but I've been reading up on the various manuals and aspects of the OS. I've been wanting to switch, but can't because many games are stuck on Windows. With the bigger rush of support for Linux lately, especially from the indies, I'd like to switch over, but there's still a few problems.

I've been using OpenSuse for a while since I've heard nothing but good things about it compared to Ubuntu. (Ubuntu seems to get a lot of flak because of it's broken Unity DE and it's figurehead seems like a douche.) I thought it would be difficult to compile my own gaming OS around OpenSuse till I saw SuseStudio. God bless you people.

Mainly it's the GUI. How easy is it to re-theme\re-skin the interface of say KDE or LXDE? The default KDE and LXDE interface's in OpenSuse is alright, but it's not a very user friendly experience or eye pleasing. I know there's websites that have themes and skins you can download from, but what about doing my own thing? Would I have to use GTK+ or what other series of programs to make it?

Second is the Packages. I've got a lot of games from the Humble Bundle and while tar.gz and rpm files are decent, a few of them are not. .sh, .bin, and .run? Is there any way to convert these to rpm\tar or try to make them auto install without going into the terminal? At least with the mojo installer from Double Fine, they seem to put a lot of their effort into less install hassle for Linux users.

Besides that, what else would I need besides Wine and some emulators? Anything I need to know about making games compatible or having more performance on an OS?

((I know people are gonna say "what about SteamOS?" I don't like Steam as much as other people and I know I'm gonna get hate for not worshiping them, but come on. Are Desura and GoG not good enough for anyone? Besides, having a "Steam" branded OS to me is almost the same as the walled gardens of Apple. I'd like something that's not a branded shill from a monopolistic corporation. Remember when they were a game developer?))

Just Joined!
    Money drives the gaming industry. Linux is free. Its hard to put the two together.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by droidlizard View Post
    Money drives the gaming industry. Linux is free. Its hard to put the two together.
    And FOSS and Linux was driven by the hands of people who were passionate at what they do and most do it for free. Your point? I'm not trying to make money, just making an alternative.

When I booted this up. My only mistake was the netbook could not handle the strain for some of the games. A good graphics card does this distro justice. You might want to check it out to see how it was built.

Distribution Release: SparkyLinux 3.0 "GameOver" (DistroWatch.com News)

It is a gamers distro.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Holy crap. I couldn't find anything like that in my normal searches. Thank you, I'll look into it immediately.

Just Joined!
    Thats a nice looking distro. System requirements are low too. I dont know if any of the game offerings could lure my 18 year old son away from his XBox or not, but it sure is a fine effort. I have a copy of Pinguy I was going to put on a computer me and him built, but I think I'm going to burn this and let him give it a spin before our hard drive gets here I a couple days. I realize all kids arent 18, and this would be really cool for kids my daughter' s age, although unfortunately she is not into games. Thanks for that.

Just Joined!
    SteamOS is the shiz

Just Joined!
    Steam games can be free but the upgrades cost money

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimKieger View Post
    And FOSS and Linux was driven by the hands of people who were passionate at what they do and most do it for free. Your point? I'm not trying to make money, just making an alternative.
    So true! Money drives the world to the brink