Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I need to make a back up of my files but I need to add many files/folders to the exclude. I wrote a script for the rSync but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow BackUp problem

Hi!

I need to make a back up of my files but I need to add many files/folders to the exclude. I wrote a script for the rSync but it makes hard to have an overview, too long command line. I feel that it is better to use a configuration file but as I know it is only the rSync daemon can use it. I need something like the rSync that can use a custom configuration files.

Problem is too long command line for many excludes.

All I need is too update files in a back up folder with using of a custom configuration file (or multiple config files ) for an easy editing/overview of the excluded destinations. I do not need to make the back up to a file.

Can you help me with a command line alternatives to the rSync? I could not find anything good yet.

Seems like you could analyze the directory structure and break it into multiple rsync calls, the target destination can still be structured the same.

I found a solution, instead of writing all in a single line I can use "\" in the bash script to add a new line and then it will look like;

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rsync \
    --exclude=abb \
    --exclude=dasda \
    /source /destination
    If you have any other alternatives/suggestions for a command line back up programs then help me.
    I solved the hardest part of my backup needs but I want to know more if you have more suggestions about a command line alternatives with configuration files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close