Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please can i use: Code: find /home/username/public_html/_sub/*/wp-content/*cache* -type f -delete command to empty all folders contianing "cache" in wp-content directory. issue is that in /home/username/public_html/_sub/ i have around 50 folders ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

find command and multiple * usage

Please can i use:

Code:
    find /home/username/public_html/_sub/*/wp-content/*cache* -type f -delete
    command to empty all folders contianing "cache" in wp-content directory.

issue is that in /home/username/public_html/_sub/
    i have around 50 folders and i want to use this rule on all of them, so im using *.

im asking there because im afraid could delete whole /_sub contents or similar horror story

i just want to empty folders containing cache in that wp-content directories

i cant say it my english is bad

is above command safe?

Trusted Penguin
    do the files themselves have cache in the name, or is it dirs, too? assuming it is files only, try:

Code:
    find /home/username/public_html/_sub/*/wp-content/ -type f -name '*cache*' -exec echo rm -vf {}  \;
    that command is safe to run as is, b/c it just echoes the "rm" command, it does not actually run it. if you like what you see, then just remove the "echo" from the command, e.g.:

Code:
    find /home/username/public_html/_sub/*/wp-content/ -type f -name '*cache*' -exec /bin/rm -vf {}  \;
    if you want to be prompted before removing the files, replace the "-f" (force) with "-i" (interactive), e.g.:

Code:
    find /home/username/public_html/_sub/*/wp-content/ -type f -name '*cache*' -exec /bin/rm -vi {}  \;

thank you, the cache in folder name only.
    i found its beneficial to remove -delete operator and instead add -print or no operator at all and it will list the matching files, so then im sure what it will delete..

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    thank you, the cache in folder name only.
    in that case you could try something like

Code:
    find . -type f -path '*cache*' ...