Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By docbop
Hi there, I am looking for a backup solution that is similar to Datto Cloud Backup. For the ones that don't know about Datto it is basically a on-premise device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Looking for Backup Solution

Hi there,

I am looking for a backup solution that is similar to Datto Cloud Backup. For the ones that don't know about Datto it is basically a on-premise device that does an image based backup and adds snapshot sub-sequentially to the image and then syncs those to the cloud. I don't really care about the cloud portion but I like to have this image/snapshot based backup solution. The other cool thing is that it allows you either to restore files out of the image/snapshots or spin up the image/snapshot as a vm with virtualbox and it acts as the failed server until it is repaired. I found so far urBackup which makes image based backups and incremental images as well as full and incremental files backup. I was able after some tinkering to run a vm machine in virtual box and mounted that full image backup as a secondary drive and restore data that way also I did a bare-metal restore via PXE and Live CD but the restore of individual files is a little bit tedious because you have to browse the file backup with a web-browser and save each individual file which are available as link on the page.

Does someone know anything that will fit very close my requirements, please let me know.

Linux Newbie
    Hello banyanit. Welcome to the forums and thank you for writing.

Regarding your question, you could maybe add an entry on crontab that will backup the whole drive into a separate drive of the same characteristics (storage capacity must be the same one) using dd command. However, it might not be what you are looking for.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for you reply....I thought about this too...on Linux it will be easy to do but on Windows I doubt it. I need to be able to backup Windows and Linux Servers.

Linux Newbie
    Oh, I missed that part (hehe :P ).

Anyway, I bet you can buy / obtain a pretty nifty piece of software for Billie's OS. Have you tried Symantec Ghost?

dd is more of an image program it is a bit copy program not file level.

If you look under the hood of most Windows backup programs they are tar-like and many create tar compatible files. There are Windows versions of tar available so you could design a backup solution using tar. Another approach would be to design a backup solution around rsync. There are windows versions of rsync. Also could combine both and use rsync to backup the data you want, then make compress tarball for archive.

Doing this if more about designing a backup approach, the developing a backup plan and implementing.
    ivotkl likes this.

Linux Newbie
    Nice idea docbop.
    Anyway, I already knew what dd is. It is a "low level" imaging tool.

Offtopic (sort of): Assuming I only use GNU/Linux, is it possible to implement crontab + tar compressing for backup purposes? What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by ivotkl View Post
    Nice idea docbop.
    Anyway, I already knew what dd is. It is a "low level" imaging tool.

Offtopic (sort of): Assuming I only use GNU/Linux, is it possible to implement crontab + tar compressing for backup purposes? What would you suggest?
    Just write your backup scripts and have crontab run them. My last gig we tar'd and compressed the files, then encrypted them to be shipped to archive storage.