Find the answer to your Linux question:
This script: find $wheretosearch -type f -mmin -90 -size -1200k -iname '*.php' -iname '*. js ' -exec grep -l "$phrasse" {} \; >> $outputfile Is the order of parameters correct? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to optimise "find" command, order of parameters

This script:
    find $wheretosearch -type f -mmin -90 -size -1200k -iname '*.php' -iname '*.js' -exec grep -l "$phrasse" {} \; >> $outputfile

Is the order of parameters correct? and are there any better alternatives to achieve my command (less resource usage)?

Im especially not sure about this part:
    -iname '*.php' -iname '*.js'

thx
    Last edited by postcd; 02-06-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Must be more to the script that initialize the variables. Taking a look the -mmin your parameter is -90 would it be 90 for 90 minutes. Also -size you have -1200k wouldn't the be -size k1200. Try from the command like it didn't like -iname '*.php' -iname '*.js'. It seens on only want a single -iname.

Did you test this from the command line before using in a script, I find it save me time to workout command from CLI first then put them in scripts.

Yes, the script is doing what i want, finding files containing certain phrasse, file must be younder 1,5 hour and smaller than 1,2MB.

But: -iname '*.php' -iname '*.js'

this fails and make the script buggy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Yes, the script is doing what i want, finding files containing certain phrasse, file must be younder 1,5 hour and smaller than 1,2MB.

But: -iname '*.php' -iname '*.js'

this fails and make the script buggy
    That's what I noted it only accepts a single -iname. Easy fix would be just make each extention as separate line in the script.
    I guess the name matching would support RE so could create a RE pattern to match either extentions.
    Last edited by docbop; 02-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.