Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I suddenly noticed a strange folder that is about one week old. I have no idea where it comes from: Code: user(a)host:~$ ls -ldh 19_s22E-x drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 627M ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Folder 627 MB in size suddenly comes from nowhere

I suddenly noticed a strange folder that is about one week old. I have no idea where it comes from:

Code:
    user(a)host:~$ ls -ldh 19_s22E-x
    drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 627M jan.  28 16:28 19_s22E-x
    The folder itself is 627 MB in size, not its contents. If I enter the folder and try to ls it, only gibberish is listed (extract):
    Code:
    0F84sC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f84wr                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8aI5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    _0F8BE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f8c9V                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8CGl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f8cLi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8Efv                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8Jdh                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f8l2b                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8nRJ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8PK9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8RiI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8rMf                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F8UZZ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F9D2F                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f9DTg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F9fVz                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f9Fw4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f9hjI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0_F9jA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F9kpj                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0f9M_d                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F9MPF                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    0F9Rz5
    What could this folder be, and is it safe to delete it? Could it be that one of my files got converted to a folder somehow? If so, how do I convert it back?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by miceagol; 02-06-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: error

Linux Engineer
    Suspicious files and folders are never good. Is this a web facing server or your desktop or what? It looks like something barfed memory into a bunch of files somehow, maybe a bad script, maybe some sort of malware.

Just Joined!
    This is my desktop, and it's not possible to access it outside the local network. The folder showed up in the home folder of my user, which is located on an SSD drive (brand new 256GB Samsung 840 Pro). Maybe something bad with the SSD drive? Any tests I can run to investigate?

Have your run file on one of the files to see if they are binary or text, if text what is in them? If you do a lsof are anything of these files being used by a process?

Just Joined!
    Code:
    user(a)host:~$ file 19_s22E-x/
    19_s22E-x/: directory
    Code:
    user(a)host:~/19_s22E-x$ file 0F84sC
    0F84sC: ERROR: cannot open `0F84sC' (No such file or directory)
    Its contents are not really files, so can't get any info from them.

Output of lsof:
    Code:
    user(a)host:~$ lsof 19_s22E-x/
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /home/user/.gvfs
          Output information may be incomplete.

What I've done in a similar situation, but and it can be, is be risky is rename the directory and see what if anything breaks. If something breaks then I have a clue to what is using it. It could be some malware or ??? storing it payload for later use especally with those names. Could be some temp files left from a program that got interrupted and did get to clean up.

Just Joined!
    I tried to reboot now. File is still there. Then I renamed the file, and nothing changed.

I tried Googling for similar cases, but I mostly find people having issues with folders that suddenly became files. Not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by miceagol View Post
    I tried to reboot now. File is still there. Then I renamed the file, and nothing changed.

I tried Googling for similar cases, but I mostly find people having issues with folders that suddenly became files. Not the other way around.
    That's why I started thinking it could be some left over garbage from something interrupted.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I think I'll just delete it and see what happens. I have backup of all my important files anyway.

If it happens again, I'll have to try deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by miceagol View Post
    Ok, so I think I'll just delete it and see what happens. I have backup of all my important files anyway.

If it happens again, I'll have to try deal with it.
    It you just mv the directory so the path changes that should work as well as deleting it, and make it easy to move back if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast