Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davids355
I am trying to set up a basic cloud workspace environment that consists of a work station (probably windows 7, but maybe Linux based), and then a virtual network attached ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a Linux file server / software NAS that works with hyperV?

I am trying to set up a basic cloud workspace environment that consists of a work station (probably windows 7, but maybe Linux based), and then a virtual network attached storage device/ file share that the users will share data from.

Originally I was looking at freeNAS which I had trouble with, and have since been advised that it has comparability issues with HyperV.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative?

Could just create virtual server and virtual storage and serve it up with Samba or NFS to create mountable shares. File sharing and NAS are essecenially the same thing except NAS is typically dedicated devices. Also depends on what you are trying to accomplish their are projects out there like owncloud for creating private clouds for web based sharing.

If using a VM for this is this going to be for light use? Just thinking out loud... I just wonder if the virtual NIC to physical NIC and back could become a bottleneck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Could just create virtual server and virtual storage and serve it up with Samba or NFS to create mountable shares. File sharing and NAS are essecenially the same thing except NAS is typically dedicated devices. Also depends on what you are trying to accomplish their are projects out there like owncloud for creating private clouds for web based sharing.

If using a VM for this is this going to be for light use? Just thinking out loud... I just wonder if the virtual NIC to physical NIC and back could become a bottleneck.
    I suppose so. I guess the only reason I was looking at FreeNAS in the first place was for ease of use (ie the web based interface).

But theres no reason why I couldn't set it up as you suggest.
    (apart from my lack of linux knowledge of course).

Its only going to be lightweight use. Aside from anything else, at the minute its purely an experiment, but the sort of scenarios I would be looking at are probably 2-3 users working from windows 7 VMs, and using 100-200GB of space total from the linux share.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Update: I ended up working with samba as advised- built a centOS VM and configured it with Samba.
    It's working like a charm!
    gregm likes this.