Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using RecordMyDesktop to record Linux Mint Mate tutorials. The program is easy to use and the output quality is quite good. On the fly encoding is impossible - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    whs
    Just Joined!

RecordMyDedsktop - a fine program but encoding is sooo slow.

I am using RecordMyDesktop to record Linux Mint Mate tutorials. The program is easy to use and the output quality is quite good.

On the fly encoding is impossible - even on my i7 CPU and 8GB of RAM. So I do the deferred encoding. But that takes forever.

A video of 266MB took about 40 minutes to encode - that beats even the Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 on Windows 7 which is also very slow.

I noticed that the encoding is done with only 1 of my 8 cores. The core runs at 3.6GHz but it would certainly be better if all 8 cores were used.

Does anybody know of a way to set the RecordMyDesktop to use more than 1 core.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I can't find any means to use multiple cores. Here is a command-line option that may help:

recordmydesktop --quick-subsampling --zero-compression
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

whs
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I can't find any means to use multiple cores. Here is a command-line option that may help:

recordmydesktop --quick-subsampling --zero-compression
    Thanks, I will try that.