Find the answer to your Linux question:
How could I take my current install with all the extras that I've added and all the tweaks I've done and turn it into an .iso that I can use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do you make an .iso?

How could I take my current install with all the extras that I've added and all the tweaks I've done and turn it into an .iso that I can use to make up a Live USB or burn to DVD so that I could install my Op System, just the way it is now on future hardware?
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

I have my own custom tools in AntiXCC. Which are not applicable for you.

So I guess you could read up on

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-...ux-distro#null

http://www.maketecheasier.com/6-tool...m-linux-distro

The remastersys developer has discontinued supporting remastersys. He was badgered by ingrates and said see ya later.

Google will tell you about it.

By the way. I doubt all your custom installs and apps might fit on a standard dvd. After you make the iso. I would check the size.

Just in case it is still available

http://my-wd-local.wikidot.com/other...ll-remastersys
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks, I'll check out the links. I guess it'd be easier to start with a Core Op System then build on it to get what I wanted rather then bring all the "extra stuff" along from a pre-build Distro.
    That's probably why Arch is so popular with a lot of Linux folks that are into building their own Distros, it's just easier to start with the base system and add to it rather then have something with a lot of Out of the Box stuff that you either have to live with or delete.

Linux Guru
    Since you seem to be an Ubuntu user, remastersys is the best software for this purpose and has a version specifically for Ubuntu. It was written and maintained by one person, and rokytnji is right, not being maintained any more because he didn't get enough help or support and a lot of demands and complaining. I used it successfully for Ubuntu 12.04 and some earlier versions.

If you're using one of the Ubuntus, the command below worked for me, I think it was Ubuntu 11.10. The command in the case below is run from the /mnt directory, with all the system files mounted under the ISO mount point.

sudo grub-mkrescue --output=test.iso ISO/
    The command below, I used to create an iso of Ubuntu 12.04, mounted under /mnt/ubuntu12.

grub-mkrescue --output ubuntu12.iso ubuntu12
    This is one reason for having multiple operating systems, simplifies things. I used the command below to create an isolinux bootable dvd, actually an iso file. All the files needed were mounted under /mnt/isoimages. The dvd.iso at the beginning is just the name of the iso file when finished.

mkisofs -o dvd.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table isoimages
    The command below run in Ubuntu to create a Grub2 bootable iso. The iso filename is dvd.iso mounted under /mnt/test. This one requires the eltorito.img file to be in the grub directory which it ordinarily is not. The other problem with it is that you need to manually create a grub.cfg file

genisoimage -v -r -b boot/grub/i386-pc/eltorito.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o dvd.iso test
    Your best bet is remastersys, if you can get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Since you seem to be an Ubuntu user,
    Nope, not used an Ubuntu Distro of any kind in months. Both Kali and Point Linux are based on Debian Stable. Thanks for the info though.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's a shame about remastersys; it was good software. The curious side of me wonders what the BS was.

You can still do it manually though. link
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    I don't know if it will work with current releases but, I used it with Ubuntu 12.04 and comparable releases of Mint, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Peppermint 3. It was a one man show and people kept asking for more features and he didn't get any support, either coding or financial or both. This is what I read on his site last year.