Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys! I am writing an a elaboration for Unix subject on my university. The title is "Solaris 11 virtualization and cloud computing solutions". I want to deeply understand what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Resoruce Classification, Implicit and Explicit requests

Hi guys!

I am writing an a elaboration for Unix subject on my university.
    The title is "Solaris 11 virtualization and cloud computing solutions".

I want to deeply understand what I am writing and i got stuck today at a resource classification. I dont know why - wheter im stupid, or foreigner and cant understand the english there (or both).

Here is the part I cant undertand: d o c s.o r a c l e.c o m /cd/E26502_01/html/E29024/rmintro-21.html#scrolltoc

(sry for spaces, not enough posts...)
    and there is the subtopic of "Resource Classification".

I cant understand difference between explicit request for resource and implicit request for resource. Why asking for CPU Time is implicit, and asking for another thread is explicit? And how would those "axes" looks like for describing the resources? Just a two axes for appliaction and one axe is CPU Time and second one is Independent time?(Non-cpu application time?) and so forth?

Regards,
    kris

Linux Engineer
    CPU time is implicit because it is a side effect of your process being run where as creating a new thread is a direct effect - it happens when the process requests a thread be created and run. Of course you can explicitly request information on the CPU time but a resource will have been previously committed that makes it possible to retrieve the information.