Find the answer to your Linux question:
how to determine where most data are written on hdd, i mean which pathes. Currently im having RedHat CentOS 5.10 64bit and im thinking about SSD + HDD setup of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to discover linux pathes where most HDD writing happen?

how to determine where most data are written on hdd, i mean which pathes.
    Currently im having RedHat CentOS 5.10 64bit and im thinking about SSD + HDD setup of a new server so i want to discover where are data writen on HDD, so i can use classic HDD there and on the rest i will use SSD for best reading performance.
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

You can use your info from iotop combined with lsof to track open files.

I've built thousands of servers and never had to dig that deep unless there was a specific problem to resolve. In general put the OS on your fast SSD, and data, logs, and anything else you have that is writing to a lot or needs lots of space on your less expensive HDD. So you need to know and understand the applications you using. I would mirror both to have at least a basic safety net.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

when i do "iotop -a" i see almost exclusivelly io usage in like 15 processes like this:
    mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --plugin-dir=/usr/lib64~mit=43762 --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/host.domain.com.pid
    so the path where are files written is /var/ or /usr ?

When i do "lsof -c mysql" i see there are alot of .MYD and .MYI in /var/lib/mysql/dbnames/
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."