Find the answer to your Linux question:
Been trying very hard to leave Windows behind for good but sadly there are a few simple things no Linux distro can do. Like manage playlists on an MP3 player, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Stay with dual boot

Been trying very hard to leave Windows behind for good but sadly there are a few simple things no Linux distro can do. Like manage playlists on an MP3 player, Android device, or Ipod. I spent nearly 5 hours a week ago battling my son's new Ipod classic and the only solution was to reload Windows and run Itunes. I tried a few distros and thought that Mint came the closest - at least it could see the Ipod. Messing with an Apple product is always tough but at least I can get it done with Windows. Windows with Winamp handles all these players with ease. The latest adventure was when I tried to connect my Samsung Galaxy Player to Mint this morning (as an MTP device) and Banshee went into a look and kept "adding" an instance of the device. I finally had to force close the program.

While I can do 95% of the things I need to do on a computer in Linux, the other 5% (including Turbotax) makes me keep Windows around. I may look at running Windows in a virtual machine at some point but it's just as easy to keep a dual boot system.

What ever tool does the job. Use that tool. I for one do not stand on principle when it comes to getting something to work.

It just does not make sense to me. If you have Windows or Mac and need it like I do.

TTS Power you can bank on!

And you are not a script kiddie or IT professional. Then run what ya brung. I for one don't really care what other people run or do. I be selfish that way.
    I also don't judge people by what they run or brung. Live and let live I say. So say we all.

Edit: docbops signature below always gives me a good grin.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 06-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Companies don't want to support Linux users so they don't support Linux. Dell supported Linux for a short time, but cost got too high because support call times for Linux would be four or more times longer than a Windows call. That was only supporting the Linux there were pre-installing it was only one distro. Also they had to train a Linux support staff where with Windows lots resume to choose from. So supporting Linux is a big expense and corporations aren't willing give up part of their profits to do.

Another part of the problem is users don't want computers these days they want appliances, turn on use, wiggle their finger, turn off.

Google Chromebook might be device that might get a from of Linux to the masses. Chromebook is pretty much an appliance, software install issues are typically resolved by time they make it into the App Store, and Google in background is applying system updates. But for that simplicity you are limited to what the Chromebook does, it's not a full computer.

I know for me I still live in both the Linux and OS X worlds. I was an audio engineer and that's a OS X world for the most part and still doing some home recording so OS X wiil be keeping my main Linux boxes companies.
    Last edited by docbop; 06-18-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Newbie
    I agree with you docbop and what makes Linux tough to support from a corporate standpoint is that folks tend to run it on all manner and type of very old hardware. Supporting an OS is tough in and of itself and then you couple that with having to know the ins and outs of every computer built in the last 20 years and it's nigh on to impossible. This is why Windows made you buy new hardware every major release - it was the only way to isolate software problems from hardware problems.

While I'd love to find a single OS that does everything I want in the way I want it done - I realize it ain't never going to be...

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Been trying very hard to leave Windows behind for good but sadly there are a few simple things no Linux distro can do.
    These tasks may be simple from a user standpoint, but they are very complicated from the programming standpoint. It may be possible to run itunes in wine, but I don't mess with wine so I don't know.

This site: Best iTunes Alternatives for Ubuntu Linux Users - Apple.Answers.com
    Says that rhythmbox can talk to ip[o|a]d devices.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    These tasks may be simple from a user standpoint, but they are very complicated from the programming standpoint. It may be possible to run itunes in wine, but I don't mess with wine so I don't know.

This site: Best iTunes Alternatives for Ubuntu Linux Users - Apple.Answers.com
    Says that rhythmbox can talk to ip[o|a]d devices.
    Understood. I was a programmer in the DOS days and just writing code that would work on the variety of video systems in the day was a huge chore. Linux has it worse as it tries to support hardware from the 90's through today and that is a herculean task. Also is the complication that the hardware vendors do not see $$$ resulting from support of Linux as it has such a tiny market share. It is what it is I guess...