Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I do an install I always put hardinfo (System Profiler and Benchmark) on my machines to get the specs on em' and I also do a CPU Blowfish benchmark ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some benchmarking numbers from my laptops.

When I do an install I always put hardinfo (System Profiler and Benchmark) on my machines to get the specs on em' and I also do a CPU Blowfish benchmark just for grins to compare the machines I have.

Here's some of my current numbers rounded off to make it easier..

Acer Aspire One ZG5, Intel Atom N270, 1.66GHz=17.20

Dell D420, Intel U2500, 1.2GHz Core Duo=14.20

HP/Compaq NC6400, Intel T2400, 1.83GHz Core Duo=9.20

HP/Compaq NC4400, Intel T7200, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo=8.20.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your benchmarks using the CPU Blowfish program in hardinfo. Anyway, just wanted to share. Talk to ya'll later.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good info Frank. I haven't run this stuff. My only criteria for performance is "is it fast enough"... FWIW, my workstation is an 8 core E5450 (dual cpu) intel chip set (3 GHz), and my laptop is a dual core Dell (3 GHz also). Both run fast enough for my needs!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I know a lot of folks don't put any stock into benchmark numbers and as a rule I won't let it "rule" my choice of weather I like a laptop or not but I did think it was interesting that the slower 1.2GHz Core Duo in my Dell was actually faster then the 1.66GHz Atom N270 in my wife's Netbook. Of course the Atom is a single core with HyperThreading and the Core Duo is an Actual dual core so that probably has something to so with it.
    I never use the NC4400 Core 2 Duo all that much even though it's the most powerful laptop that I have. My work horse is my #1 NC6400 with the 1.83GHz Core Duo. I put a 32GB SSD into it so it boots pretty fast and it does everything I want my laptop to do so I use it more then any other although this little Dell D420 is really starting to grow on me. I like the looks of it and even with that slow HDD once it's booted up I can surf the net just fine. I just put a bluetooth module into it and I ordered a DVD-RW drive to put into the enclosure to replace the CD-ROM drive that's there.
    I'll probably sell my #2 which is identical to my #1 except that it has an 80GB HDD instead of the SSD. I've used it as my "Testing" laptop to try out Distros with but I'd like to sell it and use the funds to maybe get another laptop to play with or to get an SSD for my Dell.
    I just really love playing with computers. I really hope after we move I can get a job using the skills I've picked up over the last year and a half.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It sounds like you have a good start on things. There is a real demand these days for people with Linux expertise. Where are you moving to?

Linux Newbie
    Life is to short to wait on a computer to do something. My slowest machine is an AMD A-10 and it scores a 4.09 on the blowfish benchmark...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It sounds like you have a good start on things. There is a real demand these days for people with Linux expertise. Where are you moving to?
    Wife wants to go back home to AZ., I lived there for 16 years and the only way I'd be happy going back is if we could move to Prescott.

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Life is to short to wait on a computer to do something. My slowest machine is an AMD A-10 and it scores a 4.09 on the blowfish benchmark...
    Wow, that's pretty good. I'd love to get a faster laptop someday but at the moment being unemployed my funds just don't allow it. It's all I can do to scrap up the money to buy a decent $50 buck laptop off of EvilBay every now and again and even when I do that I have to sell something to help pay for it.

Re. Unemployed. Yeah, I understand that dilemma. Two weeks after the Microsoft/Nokia Mobile Phone deal closed, and two days after I finished releasing my latest production code, I was fired... So, I'm collecting unemployment now as well, looking for a job or contract work.

FWIW, when my wife and I were first married my job had me out in Arizona 6 months of the year, but at least we got to live in Tucson, which is a pretty decent place. Also, we were there in the spring and fall, so the weather was tolerable! Where in AZ are you going?

If she has her way we'll probably move to Avondale(SW of Phoenix but it's all one big blob of a city anyway, LOL) but I'd rather try to move closer to Cookeville, TN, which is where her job is at and I'd probably have an easier time finding a job there then here in Crossville.
    I was fired(not proud of it but that's the way it goes sometimes) and couldn't collect unemployment. It's been a rough go, had to sell my truck(pretty decent V8 S10 conversion) and money has been really tight. I try to pull my weight by taking care of the house and yard and doing any auto repair that her car may need. Still, she seems to think that I don't deserve any money for anything and that having a roof over my head and food to eat is all I should get.
    I'll just be glad when the house sells and I'll have money to buy something to drive so I can look for work again. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the next round of job hunting.

I was fired also, but I did get Illinois unemployment. Not much ($710 every two weeks after taxes), but it helps. Are you sure you aren't eligible for unemployment assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I was fired also, but I did get Illinois unemployment. Not much ($710 every two weeks after taxes), but it helps. Are you sure you aren't eligible for unemployment assistance?
    Yep, I'm 100% sure. You can only draw here in Tennessee if losing your job was of no fault of your own. Getting fired was my fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast