Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rokytnji
First off, this is not meant to slander Linux, it's great, over 50% of the internet runs on it, but... Years ago I ran it solely on my laptop, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Frustration

First off, this is not meant to slander Linux, it's great, over 50% of the internet runs on it, but...

Years ago I ran it solely on my laptop, but eventually Windows provided a more stable environment. I keep checking Linux desktop periodically to see if things are getting better but it seems to be getting worse.

I recently installed Fedora and right away I notice some cursor issues. I installed Chrome with little difficulty but then I tried to install NetBeans and that failed. I downloaded it and when I click on it, LibreOffice tried to open the downloaded file? I tried to remove some apps I don't like but the password authenticator dialog would not accept my password. I do like Gnome and think it's a clean layout, just would prefer the dock on the bottom (has Apple patented that?)

So I tried the new elementaryos.org distro. I tried to install Chrome but could not even get that to install so I gave up on that (installer just said "Internal error"). I tried to run apps in the launcher and my clicks seem to get ignored.

Linux needs better standards:

- standardized packages, so 3rd party developers can distribute their apps. I like DEB files myself, they can be built relatively easy using scripts, just need to use 'tar' instead of 'ar'. RPMs a binary files which have had limitations in the past. Just look at some apps like VMware, they include every shared object (*.so) incase the OS provided one is wrong version/corrupt. People talk about DLL Hell but the same can be said about SO Hell. Not every app a user needs will be in the repo.

- wayland will hopefully fix X11. Read any blogs from the wine developers and it's obvious why that beast has to die. But Ubuntu wants to go their own way with Mir. Too many options. Their attempt to replace init with upstart failed and use systemd like everyone else.

- standardized infrastructure. Every distro seems to have their own way of doing things like where network config files are stored.

- etc. I guess this list could go on forever. Seem the same points raised else where.

I watched "Linux Sucks" 2014 on youtube.com (all of it) and found it amusing.

Anyways, not to offend anymore, hopefully some constructive input. Will check back again in 6 months.

Cheers.

Since this is a fishing expedition. I won't bite and get hooked. But I will nibble a little.
    Gnu/Linux has been proving opinions,threads,posts like this wrong now for over 20 years.

(noting the 1 next to "Posts:")
    docbop and TNFrank like this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    I have come to realize that Linux will never be my only OS as there are a few things it just can't do. Try managing an Ipod or running Turbotax for example. I probably boot into Linux 85% of my time on a computer; however, I expect to use Windows for the foreseeable future for tasks Linux does not do...

I've tried just about every distro out there, at least any that's of any consequence, and it's easy to see how frustrating things can get. Fedora, a distro that I really want to like, has never been suitable for my needs, it's "free software" stance hamstringing ultimate performance and stability. There are a number of solid distros that are more than adequate replacements for Windows and, at risk of stating the obvious, you can't go wrong with Linux Mint. It's super-stable, much more-so than it's parent Ubuntu, and works like a charm on most any hardware. Some call Mint boring, and for those folk there are plenty of distros that can keep things exciting, but if you're fed up with the headaches, then Mint is it.

Linux Newbie
    lol...ya I've watched the linux sucks annual vids, it is funny and true...what can be done..I am glad you found it amusing and remain lighthearted in your frustrations to understand how linux works and how to make it work for you. I admit at times I can not understand linux at all, but then I realize I have not used windows for so long it is more frustrating to do something on it, and I have not used the apple in so long it boggles the mind. So linux is not so bad after all, you just have to stick with it long enough to make it work for you most of the time.

Just roll your own remix and be done with it. I took the CLI ubuntu 12.04 core install, which is just enough to boot the hardware and pull a shell and started building from there. I like the XFCE4 DE but not it's tool set / included progarms and I love gnome tools / programs but hate the DE. So I pulled in the XFCE4 desktop with no recs, pulled in the gnome tools w/o the DE and created my own dummy meta-packages to bind them together and keep all the deps straight.

I call it X-Gnome and it runs like a screaming banshee. Lightweight, fast with looooooots of capabilities to do all kinds of spiffy stuff and since I used a standardized core install I get the benefit of using well known / maintained repos where somebody else gets to do all of the crap involved in keeping up with the jones' on the updates. All I have to do is install them.

Since I built it I know where everything is (mostly "standard", at least for UB) and I can fix 99% of what goes wrong b/c I know what's in it and how it went together.

The only downside is twice in the last two years the devs have made major changes that I had to work on for a couple of weeks each to keep the new way of doing things from seriously jacking up my system. But I got it fixed in the end. And it's supported until 2017.

Linux is like leggos. If you don't like the way it's put together then you can take it apart and build pretty much whatever you want out of it.

I support doze at work. While it does have it uses and I have it in both a VM and dual boot for various tasks with doze it's either the doze way or the highway. There is no "Oh, my entire network stack sux so I'll just rip it out and rebuild it the right way".

After a year and a half of trying Distros I've finally found one that I can live with. Antergos GNOME works great for me, has a nice, modern look to it and being Arch gives me the bleeding edge software that I was wanting from Debian but could never get. Unless something really better comes along I'm pretty much done with Distro Hopping.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux User
    I think that the OP needs to be listened to, guys, and those problems addressed, not swept away by ardent fanboys. If we want Linux to go places, there's serious battles ahead.