Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Iím interested in monitoring the processes running in a Linux system and determining when they are stuck/running endlessly very quickly. Once I determine this, I also want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Best Linux System Monitoring tool

Hi all,

Iím interested in monitoring the processes running in a Linux system and determining when they are stuck/running endlessly very quickly. Once I determine this, I also want to take on some actions (like dumping some debug info, restarting the process, etc..).

I would like to know which is the best tool for this kind of operations.

I know I can detect stuck processes using systemd, but unfortunately I wasnít able to take action (where can I specify a script that I want to run when some process heartbeats are missed ?).

Thank you,
    Andreea

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A program may appear "stuck", but isn't. The top command may help. It will show you CPU, memory, and other resource utilization by the processes on your system. There are also other tools, but I find that this simple tool works for this sort of thing very well. Alternatively, if it was built as a debuggable image, you could attach GDB to it and see where it is, and if it is stuck in an endless loop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!