Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Im on Mandrake 9.1 and i dont like it....too slow...dont want RH and gentoo is giving me too much trouble....so im looking for a fast and reliable OS and links ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Looking for a Fast and Reliable OS...

Im on Mandrake 9.1 and i dont like it....too slow...dont want RH and gentoo is giving me too much trouble....so im looking for a fast and reliable OS and links to the Download site/page if possible.thx

Linux Engineer
    What's wrong with Mandrake or RedHat? How new are you to Linux? Unless you know what you are doing, I suggest you stay within that distro just to take your baby steps.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    im fairly new to linux but am catching on quite fast...and if i need questions answerd there is always Linuxforums.org and Gamefaqs.com and my uncle is really really good with linux and hes just one phone call away....and if it gets too difficult. there is always my disks of mandrake. this is all unless you know how to make mandrake much faster. i like speed when doing thing and i like challenges biggest reasons why i love linux. but the speed part isnt being supported by mandrake

Linux User
    what is your system hardware like? 3G of CPU? mine is 1800+ AMD XP CPU, but still find RH slow, but I think it is because of my HD is 66 IDE and 5200 speed only. I think Windows XP runs much more faster on 2000+ on my other machine, Harddisk is better as well, with 2M buffer and 7200 speed, I think the problem is from VGA card and HD, my Ram is ok, I think if I use a 8M buffer rate HD would be much more faster, like this one

P R O D U C T
    IBM IC35L180AVV207-1

S P E C I F I C A T I O N S
    Capacity 180GB
    Rotation Speed 7200rpm
    Interface UDMA100
    Access Time 8.5ms
    Cache 8MB

R E M A R K
    Deskstar 180GXP

Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Engineer
    Redhat and Suse is no harder to install then Mandrake...there are much alike... And why are Mandrake going slow...what hardware do you have??, have you checked what is up and running?? Maybe everthying dont have to be started??

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    i dont know how to check whats running. but heres my system specs

P3 800mhz
    320Mb SdRam
    32mb radeon 7000
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8Mb Buffer Average Seek time 9.4 Ms 7200 rotation speed and its an ultra ATA/133 drive and it holds 80GB and its running through a Dual Channel Ultra ATA/133 Drive Controller
    sound card if it matters Soundblaster Live!

there ya have it.....i forget anything?

Linux User
    To what extend is the sluggishness you are talking about? How long does it take to open mozilla? How about open nautilus file manager? P3 800 is a slow CPU if you have such a high performance Harddisk, well, HD is wasted. See what I mean? and your ram is a PC 100 or PC133 I think, still very slow compares to DDR RAM which now supports 400 Hz of external bus. I boot my PC into win xp pro takes about 20-30 seconds. I dunno yours.

I think it is the hardware costs sluggishness, with such a high performance kernel, i suggest you to have at leats 1.5 G of CPU or above system with a better motherboard.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux User
    well that seems to be one of the reasons i posted this....i want a faster OS because i dont have the money to upgrade....and yes its sluggish all over..... to open anything. but when i do upgrade im planning on a AMD athlon 2400 xp or higher.....mobo is still undecided

Linux Engineer
    Check whith

Code:
    netstat -anp
    To see which process that are bindig to ports on your network
    also check with..

Code:
    chkconfig --list
    To see which services that are starting at you runlevel... see if you can stop and disable something...

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Still, an 800 MHz CPU isn't too shabby, and HD access is carried out through DMA if your system is correctly configured, so the CPU shouldn't be the bottleneck there anyway. There must be something else. Have you tried to recompile your kernel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast