Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am not sure weather this is sensible question or stupid one. I want to make my own Linux setup which have basic kernel and some custom modules. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux setup

Hi,

I am not sure weather this is sensible question or stupid one. I want to make my own Linux setup which have basic kernel and some custom modules. Is it feasible? One of our client is asking to have a setup like this(just like redhat but not a full pledged one). How can I accomplish? Please help me out.
    Thanks in advance.

Linux User
    hmmm if im understanding correctly. you only want the packages you are going to use? not the clusters. like media and office? well i know the new version of mandrake (9.1) has an option for installing individual packages.

Linux User
    well even in redhat you can choose which packages you want installed individually...what kind of packages do you need?

Linux User
    i belive that depends on what you with your pc

Just Joined!
    Yes we can select our own modules while using the redhat or mandrake. But what I am looking is a setup like what redhat/mandrake does. In the sense I mean my setup must be able to install Linux and my modules on a new box.

Linux Guru
    Ah, I see what you mean now. You want to create a kind of mini-distro, right? In that case, the difficulty lies in exactly what you want to have on it. First, you need to take a stance whether you want to have binary distributions of programs or source distributions, and in the latter case having the installation program build them at installation time. Then you must decide what you want the installation program to look like.

Just Joined!
    Yah i am looking for the same. I am planning for soure distribution. I also know the packages to install. I a looking for the procedure how to make the distribution and burn it into CD,which can de shipped...

Linux Engineer
    What are your linux dist based on??... i know there exists programs to create installation GUI:s or procedures like redhat or mandrakes.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I am looking for a distribution where i have my own kernel and some s/w that my client uses . Do be frank the requirements are not at clear from our client but the idea is to make our own distribution. We are planning to make distribustion which can be less then 5M.

regards

Linux User
    linuxfromscratch maybe??......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast