Find the answer to your Linux question:
Changelog here and the kernel source here...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

2.4.21 out!

Changelog here and the kernel source here

Linux Guru
    Oh yeah! Unless... Do you know if you can apply the ACL patch to this kernel. I'll just check it out.

Linux Guru
    By the way, for those that haven't already figured it out, here's a tip on how to do the most effective kernel download:
    Code:
    cd /usr/src; wget -O - ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.tar.bz2 | bzip2 -dc | tar -xv
    Multitasking is a wonderful thing. I promise you, you save at surely a couple of seconds doing it that way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Never mind 2.4.21, when the fsck is 2.6.x going to be released ?

Linux Guru
    Of course, I do agree on that point. Isn't that going to include the new input core modules? If that is true, I'm going to install it the second it is released. I'm imagining that it will include a lot of other nifty 2.5 features as well. Does someone know of the major features that we're missing out on by using 2.4?

Btw., if anyone's interested, I tried the 2.4.20 ACL patch from bestbits.at on the 2.4.21 source, and although it wasn't a clean fit, I fixed the rejects and thus I am now running 2.4.21 with ACL support. I also rediffed the patch, so if anyone's interested, contact me and I'll send you the patch.
    I recently upgraded my entire network to use ACLs, and apart from a lot of trouble with getting the new fileutils/coreutils to work (which isn't _really_ necessary anyway, there are just some minor improvements to ls, cp and mv), it is all working beautifully and I love it! My home directories are much more secure now, since I can allow execute access only to my apache user (for UserDir serving), and not to world. So for all of you still running without ACLs, I can just say: upgrade!