Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Novell says: "Q. Am I allowed to make copies of the CDs/DVDs and distribute them among friends of mine for a fee i.e. the cost of the blank cds/DVDs? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE EULA

Hi,

Novell says:

"Q. Am I allowed to make copies of the CDs/DVDs and distribute them among friends of mine for a fee i.e. the cost of the blank cds/DVDs? (I guess this one is a no)?

A. Correct the answer is no to this one. If they buy you a donut, or wash your car for the burned copies of SUSE you are in breach of End User License Agreement (EULA)."

-------------

SuSE (5CDs) are available on LinuxCd.org, is that legal? I think not. What do you guys say?

I say that's cool according to the EULA. It just states that you can't charge them for it.

Just Joined!
    I think that's very clear isnt it?

"Q. Am I allowed to make copies of the CDs/DVDs and distribute them among friends of mine for a fee i.e. the cost of the blank cds/DVDs? (I guess this one is a no)?

A. Correct the answer is no to this one. If they buy you a donut, or wash your car for the burned copies of SUSE you are in breach of End User License Agreement (EULA)."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well does linuxcd.org sell them or offer them for download?

Just Joined!
    LinuxCd.org are "selling" SUSE 9.2 DVD/5 CDs. Of course they're only asking for the cost of CDs/Labels etc...but still...that is against the EULA.

Okay.

Re: SUSE EULA

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
    Hi,

Novell says:

-------------

SuSE (5CDs) are available on LinuxCd.org, is that legal? I think not. What do you guys say?
    This question is a hot one over at the SuSE Forums. The official word from Novell, as supported by the above answer, is that you can make copies and distribute them to your friends as long as you recieve no form of payment for doing it. In short, you can give but not sell.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
    LinuxCd.org are "selling" SUSE 9.2 DVD/5 CDs. Of course they're only asking for the cost of CDs/Labels etc...but still...that is against the EULA.
    I've emailed Novell about this site, and they told me it was legal.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought that you can charge anything you wanted as long as you provided the source.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought that you can charge anything you wanted as long as you provided the source.

Mike
    Isn't that GPL? and not EULA?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast