Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Flash player problem youtube issues

Hi there I was just wondering if somebody could help me out with this issue I'm having with Ubuntu and youtube. Every time I watch a video on youtube my mouse pointer will disappear over the youtube video and I can't control it when I want to pause or restart the video. The youtube videos play just fine but it gets annoying where I can't click to pause and stuff.

Whats the fix for this?

Many thanks

Linux Newbie

Flash player problem youtube issues

Are you sure that you are still using the flash-plugin? If yes, uninstall it. YouTube works fine with HTML5 and you don't need flash to play YouTube videos.
    I think you can also disable Flash from Firefox's settings without uninstalling it

+1. Get rid of flash and you should be fine. Flash is dead but continues to stagger on as a zombie.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    +1
    There are many and scary flash exploits.

A site insisting on flash is deprecated and should be avoided.
    A person still using flash is either a infosec guy researching the latest bug,
    or a bad guy designing a new exploit
    or simply uninformed.

It's 2016, the time of flash is long gone.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Thats interesting and good to know that also. I listen to a lot of online radio stations from around the world and on some they wont stream without flash? the adobe flash player site looks legitimate? I'll bare that in mind I've since removed flash from some of my computers.

Are there any others I need to watch out for?

Linux Newbie
    For the online radio station you can use simple programs like Radio Tray.
    Web radio streams are the only thing I had problem with. I've uninstalled flash about one year ago and I have no problems at all. Only obsolete sites still use it but they are usually usable with only some parts of the site that doesn't work (remember that a Flash-based website is totally unusable on mobile devices). There are some Full-flash websites, but they usually are websites that are not updated since 2004-2005

Linux Guru
    -->
    very few radio stations require flash, and usually radio stations can be accessed several ways (e.g. through radionomy or shoutcast), and those definitely work without flash.
    the preferable way to listen to online radio is without even starting your browser, e.g. with this little script.

apart from that, flash is full of security holes, despite adobe being "legit".
    it's esp. bad on linux.
    if you can be without it, do so.