Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
highly unlikly i just built this system....some used parts but only slightly used. and there is no sign of breaking down...everything runs great both on mandrake 9.1 and Win2k...so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

highly unlikly i just built this system....some used parts but only slightly used. and there is no sign of breaking down...everything runs great both on mandrake 9.1 and Win2k...so i dont see why it would be

p.s. nothing is overclocked

Linux Guru
    Well, different OSs use different features of the computer. Some systems might leave some parts that are faulty completely unused. All of these strange failures that you've had do point at some kind of hardware failure. But, of course, I can't know for sure.

Linux User
    well i found out that most of the other failures were due to my BIOS setting. there is a Virus scanner chip on my MOBO and it wanted it on for the installation to work. so i got that working...and gentoo doesnt seem to have problems but my printer doesnt work so icant print the installation guide.i just want something alot faster and not as bloated as Mandrake

Linux Guru
    Didn't you have problems booting Gentoo? Or was that someone else? Well, in that case, don't you have another computer to view it on or something? Or some place else to print it from?

Linux User
    well im out of school now and that was the only place i could print and there is another computer but its a hallway and stairway, away and not worth the effort and i was having trouble booting gentoo but it was because of the virus scanner in my bios

Linux User
    ok i just finished downloading and burning 8.1 this time it works... but now oncei get to the part wehere i can partition. i do fdisk /dev/hda and it talls my its write protected...wahst up with this?

Linux User
    use cfdisk instead.. much more easyer than fdisk

Linux User
    well if i did that wouldnt it still be write protected? and whats that sectors thing 1-83 that i have to select for each partition?

Linux User
    ok i tryed cfdisk and same problem write protected...how is my HDD write protected? im gettign verry annoyed nothing but mandrake is working properly when trying otinstall gentoo i had the same problems with the write protection bull any ideas?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3