Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Why DEs hate the Desktop?

Hello,
    I'm a huge fan of the traditional desktop mode (a folder always visible that appears when you boot up the system). I think it's really useful because I can store all the temporary stuff I need and I can access these files without browsing other folders. I've noticed that almost all modern Desktop Environments hide the desktop to show only the wallpaper.
    On Pantheon, Gnome 3, KDE 5 and maybe others, the desktop is not shown. You can enable it but on KDE, for example, I don't like how it's managed (I can't explain why, but it looks like something unrelated with the Dolphin file manager and the rest of the system)

So, my question is, why all these desktop environment hide the Dekstop?

Linux Guru
    i cannot answer that question, but LXDE handles the desktop by default, and so does XFCE.
    the filemanagers pcmanfm, spacefm and rox handle the desktop.

i must say, however, that i prefer it without.
    maybe it has historical reasons: many apps don't work so well with a desktop manager coming in the way: conky, openbox, all the *setroot utilities...

in the end, it's more about usage habits.
    i think my productivity has neither in- nor decreased without a desktop manager.
    i remember when i used a desktop, i had it so cluttered that i had to group the files.

instead of leaving "urgent" files on the desktop you could also consider using some sort of reminder app.

Linux Newbie
    I'm now installing Xubuntu instead of Kubuntu.

Another example: on Kubuntu when I do a double click on any ISO file from the file manager, K3B opens up to let me write the image on a DVD. If I double click on the same file on the desktop (not via the file manager) the system asks me which program I want to use. Why they need to use different applications between the file manager and the desktop? This is SO stupid in my opinion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    i really cannot tell, but i heard similar complaints about kde.
    i think you will like xfce; it concentrates more on usability than on looks. i also like thunar a lot.

Linux Newbie
    Yes, XFCE is My favorite desktop environment but I stopped to use it some years ago because it lacks some "modern" features. Anyway thank you for your reply, it seems that I'm the only one who goes backward instead of switching to moderns DE

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    it lacks some "modern" features.
    which features does it lack?

backward instead of switching to moderns DE
    using xfce is NOT going backwards.
    it is under active development, many current distros rely on it.
    there's many people who prefer that sort of interface (call it classic if you want to).

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    which features does it lack?

using xfce is NOT going backwards.
    it is under active development, many current distros rely on it.
    there's many people who prefer that sort of interface (call it classic if you want to).
    I'm one of the people who likes the classic interface. Switching from KDE to XFCE made me feel the BIG difference between these DEs (and I prefer XFCE). I don't remember every feature that lacks on XFCE because I'm not using it since years ago, but one that I remember is encrypt/decrypt from the right-click menu. It's not a modern feature but it's useful for me. Anyway, I'll try to find some workarounds if I find some feature that is missing

Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    I'm one of the people who likes the classic interface. Switching from KDE to XFCE made me feel the BIG difference between these DEs (and I prefer XFCE). I don't remember every feature that lacks on XFCE because I'm not using it since years ago, but one that I remember is encrypt/decrypt from the right-click menu. It's not a modern feature but it's useful for me. Anyway, I'll try to find some workarounds if I find some feature that is missing
    In XFCE4's Thunar file manager, you can add new right click items by going to Edit->Configure Custom Actions. I've never customized my own, so I see that what's on my vanilla install is very sparse. Just a single entry "Open Terminal Here". Still, that's enough of a "template" example to see how to create options suitable for what you state.

Still, it is indeed annoying to have to manually customize these things yourself rather than having something already set up out-of-box.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    In XFCE4's Thunar file manager, you can add new right click items by going to Edit->Configure Custom Actions. I've never customized my own, so I see that what's on my vanilla install is very sparse. Just a single entry "Open Terminal Here". Still, that's enough of a "template" example to see how to create options suitable for what you state.

Still, it is indeed annoying to have to manually customize these things yourself rather than having something already set up out-of-box.
    Thank you. I've found in the web how to add these custom actions to encrypt and decrypt but it didn't work. I have to make more tests. As you said, the annoying thing is that you need to configure a lot of things when on Unity and gnome you can install one simple package. Anyway, it's not so terrible if you consider how much lighter is XFCE than Gnome or KDE.

Linux Guru
    -->
    what do you want to en/decrypt?
    are the command lines working?
    what are they?